- January 28: The LEGO Group files for patents in Denmark for the stud-and-tube coupling system. This new system makes models much more stable. The patent was granted on January 29th, 1962.
- March 11: Ole Kirk Christiansen dies; Godtfred Kirk Christiansen inherits leadership of the LEGO Company.
- The first sloped roof bricks are introduced, with four types: 2x2 slope, 2x4 slope, 2x2 peak and 2x4 peak.
- The old hollow-bottom 2x2, 2x3, 2x4, 2x8, 2x10 and 4x4 corner brick molds are discontinued. Other parts from the Automatic Binding Brick system were left in production until the moulds wore out several years later.
- Helge Torpe is appointed Marketing Director.
- LEGO stops using language-specific text on its international boxes.