Alpha Team is a theme that was initially released in 2001. It centers around a team of secret agents known as the "Alpha Team", and their efforts to stop the nefarious villain known as Ogel from taking over the world. The theme's first main run was from 2001-2002, when its first two subthemes, an unnamed subtheme set in an urban environment, and Mission Deep Sea were released. The theme was put in hiatus in 2003, but then, contrary to fans expectations, returned in 2004 with the advent of its third and final subtheme, Mission Deep Freeze. The theme was cancelled for good in 2005, although a similar theme, Agents, was released in 2009.
The very first Alpha Team consisted of seven members: Dash Justice, the team leader, Cam Attaway, Flex, Radia, Charge, Crunch, and a robot named Tee Vee, who resembled a television set with legs. In this first subtheme, as in all others, the Alpha Team attempts to thwart the plots of an evil criminal mastermind named Ogel. In his first bid for world domination, Ogel utilized an invention known as "Mind Control Orbs". These orbs turned people into mindless Skeleton Drones that Ogel could command. (apparently, Ogel could also control weather and create storms using a special organ.) Ogel was eventually defeated, and the orbs were destroyed, reverting all of Ogel's victims back to their original state.
In 2002, the line was renamed "Alpha Team: Mission Deep Sea". This time, Alpha Team had to battle Ogel and a new army of more evil-looking Skeleton Drones underwater. Also Tee Vee became a mini sub. This time, Ogel created a new type of Mind Control Orb, which mutated sea creatures to do his bidding, and used these on many creatures, such as octopi and killer whales. To combat Ogel, Alpha Team went underwater as well, armed with a plethora of new vehicles. Ogel was finally defeated when Dash reversed the controls of Ogel's orb manufacturing plant, causing all of the mutant creatures to revert to normal.
- 2004 - 2005
In 2004, Alpha Team was massively revised. The theme's logo was changed, many of the characters had different appearances than in previous years, and Cam and Crunch were omitted in lieu of Agents Arrow and Diamond Tooth respectively. Other changes included Tee Vee becoming a humanoid robot, and Ogel's hook colour changing from red to blue. Alpha Team vehicles were given a new feature, known as Alpha Mode, which allowed them to be transformed into another vehicle without disassembling them.
This year, Ogel had a completely different plan, in which he was using his new Ice Orbs to freeze the world. Alpha Team tracked him to Antarctica, where he succeeded in freezing Alpha Team, the rest of the world, and even time itself. The Team were saved by Zed, an Alpha Team special agent, who was protected from the time freeze by his vehicle, which was equipped for such an event. He defrosted the Alpha Team agents, and then battled Ogel's Scorpion Orb Launcher. The LEGO Magazine invited members to send in submissions of what they thought would happen in the battle, although they were not published in the magazine, and members did not see the end of the battle. It is generally assumed that Zed defeated Ogel.
- Dash Justice: Motion Expert and Team Leader, Dash is very brave, but quite cocky. He loves the seaside. The colour of his uniform is Black in the 2001 and 2002 missions, and Blue in 2004.
- Crunch: Explosives Expert; replaced by Diamond Tooth in 2004. His uniform colour is Green in the 2001 and 2002 missions, and was appropriated by Diamond Tooth in 2004.
- Radia: Alpha Team's Lasers Expert, Radia is extremely beautiful. Her uniform colour is Purple. She has also appeared as a networker in My LEGO Network.
- Charge: Charge is the team's Electricity Expert. His gloves apparently allow him jet-assisted flight, as shown on the cover of the Alpha Team Video Game. His uniform colour is Blue in the 2001 and 2002 missions, and Red in 2004.
- Cam Attaway: Cam is the Team's Motors Expert and mechanic. She was replaced by Arrow in 2004. Her uniform colour is Red in the 2001 and 2002 missions.
- Flex: Flex is the Team's flamboyant Ropes Expert. His uniform colour is Orange.
- Tee Vee: Tee Vee is Alpha Team's communications robot. He has been seen in three different variations. In his first version, he was essentially a television set with legs. In 2002, he was upgraded to a miniature submarine, and in 2004 his appearance was revised once more, this time to that of a humanoid android.
- Arrow: Arrow is Alpha Team's Motors Expert and mechanic in 2004. His uniform colour is Yellow.
- Diamond Tooth: Diamond Tooth is Alpha Team's Mining Expert in 2004. His uniform colour is in Green.
- Gearbox: All that is known about this agent is that he built the Tundra Tracker.
- Zed: Alpha Team special agent, and the pilot of the Blizzard Blaster.
- Ogel: The ruthless villain of the series. He was the main villain in each year of the series, constantly coming up with schemes to defeat Alpha Team.
- Skeleton Drones: Ogel's minions, who are people who have been affected by Mind Control Orbs. Their appearance changes numerous times during the series.
- Skeleton Drone Commander (conjectural name): This Skeleton Drone appears exclusively in Ogel's Ice Base. His purpose in unknown.
- Super Ice Drone: A Skeleton Drone with a black head that pilots the Scorpion Orb Laucher. Possibly a robot.
- 6775 Alpha Team Bomb Squad several vehicles come in this set. Charge drives the main 4x4, while Crunch mans the missile truck. Tee Vee controls a smaller craft with a claw that can deactivate Mind control Orbs, which are then put into a crate on a device which Crunch shoots a target on, springing the Orb in the air, and putting it out of commission.
- The Alpha Team ATV is smaller vehicle group than the bomb squad, but nonetheless, formidable. The ATV (all-terrain vehicle) traverses and terrain in encounters, towing a mini-sub. Flex mans the ATV while Cam pilots the sub.
- The Alpha Team Helicopter is Dash's vehicle, and used to spy on Ogel's bases.
- The Alpha Team Cruiser is Radia's ship, and can move on both water and air. While using this, she was chased and got captured by Ogel in his Command Striker.
- The Ogel Command Striker is a small water/aircraft piloted by Ogel.
Mission Deep Sea
- The Alpha Team Command Patrol Sub is Alpha Team's largest undersea vehicle. It can fire off two Robot Divers, similar to Charge's, if necessary. A unique feature of the vehicle is somewhat similar to the 2004 Alpha Mode, as the front and rear end of the Sub could split from the middle and combine to form a smaller sub.
- The Sub-Surface Scooter is a small and nimble craft piloted by Flex. His expertise in roping is evidenced by the spool of cable on the rear of the craft.
- The Aquatic Mech is a large undersea robot operated by Dash and the Tee-Vee ROV.
- The Wing Diver is a small scout vehicle operated by Cam.
- The Navigator/ROV is a moderately-sized patrol craft with two robot arms. It is manned by Cam and Tee Vee in ROV format, and is similar in shape to the Command Patrol Sub, except for the omission of the main deck.
- The Jet Sub is a small sub piloted by Dash.
- The Robot Diver is a small vehicle that features Charge, consisting of a mech suit with robot arms and a flamethrower.
- The Ogel Mutant Squid is a machine built to resemble a squid. Ogel used this to escape at the end of Mission Deep Sea. When it reached the surface, the cockpit jettisoned with Ogel inside.
Mission Deep Freeze
- The Mobile Command Center is the most heavily armed vehicle of the Alpha Team. The four Agents on board are Tee Vee, Charge, Arrow, and Radia. The Mobile Command Center contains two solar lasers, tools, and a missile launcher. When it is in "Alpha Mode", it turns into a heavily armed command center. Two Snow Scooters accompany the vehicle. This vehicle is used to locate Ogel's bases, spy and/or give information. It also has an Ice Orb Claw used to deactivate Ice Orbs.
- The Blizzard Blaster is equipped with twin solar lasers, dual energy lasers, an ice missile launcher, and a heat energy beam. Zed, a special agent of Alpha Team, uses the machine to battle Ogel's Scorpion Orb Launcher and the Super Ice Drone. The Blizzard Blaster transforms into the Ice Shark when in Alpha Mode.
- The Tundra Tracker contains twin solar lasers and a drill. It converts to the Magma Drill when in Alpha Mode. The vehicle is used for a variety of drilling missions. In a LEGO Magazine, it was said that an agent called Gearbox built and designed the vehicle. Agent Diamond Tooth pilots this vehicle.
- The Chill Speeder is a small, swift speeder mainly for Alpha Team's recon missions. When Alpha Mode is activated the speeder transforms into a light all-terrain walker called the X-1 Snowbot Defender. It is equipped with twin solar lasers and is used by Agent Flex.
- The Ice Blade is a swift snowmobile with tracks and skate. In Alpha Mode, it transforms into the stealthy IC-2 Helicopter. It is equipped with twin solar lasers and piloted by Charge.
- The Blue Eagle is a fast, highly maneuverable jet with dual wing tipped claws, and in Alpha Mode becomes the Ice Glider. It is piloted by Dash.
- The Solar Speeder Snow Mobile is a fast, wheeled vehicle, that is more or less used exclusively to infiltrate Ogel's Mountain Fortress. In Alpha Mode, it reveals a missile launcher. It is used by Dash.
- The Quad Cannon is a very large vehicle that must be piloted by at least two agents, sometimes three.
An Evil Orb is a primary device used in Ogel's schemes.
- Mind Control Orb: This orb takes control of ordinary Town citizens and turns them into mindless, skeletal drones.
- Mind Control Orb 2.0: These upgraded orbs allow Ogel's control over sea life in addition to civilians. The orbs also cause mutations.
- Ice Orb: The Ice Orbs freeze anything they come into contact with.
Ogel has had several bases in the series.
- Ogel Island Laboratory: Ogel grows the plants used in the evil orbs here in his massive greenhouses and ships them out in Plant Shipping Crates. They are sent out by his Trouble Train.
- Goo Caverns: Ogel harvests the goo used in the evil orbs here which are put in barrels. Both Plant Shipping Crates and barrels of goo are put in his Trouble Sub and shipped to the next base.
- Ogel's Undersea Base: The plants and goo are unloaded from his Trouble Sub. Also, all the components of the evil orbs are put together here, at the D.O.O.M. (Device for Ominous Orb Manufacture) Machine.
- Ogel's Hidden Arctic Base: Ogel loads the evil orbs from his undersea base onto the Boggle Rocket here. His plan was to launch them all over the world and turn everyone into his slaves.
Bases Found in Sets
Ogel has several bases in the form of LEGO sets.
- Ogel Control Center: Ogel and his drones load Evil Orbs into Ogel's rocket, allowing him to drop them on civilians and turn the world's population into his slaves. This set differs from other bases, as Dash usually makes a second appearance in a smaller vehicle. In this base he was not featured as such.
- Ogel's Mission Deep Sea Base: This base allows Ogel to fire menacing Evil Orb Missiles at unsuspecting Alpha Team Agents.
- Ogel's Mountain Fortress: This is where ice orbs are created and where Ogel hatches the plan to freeze the world.
- Main article: List of Alpha Team sets
The Alpha team storyline has been mainly told through various games.
A video game was released in 2001, in which Agent Dash was tasked with rescuing the other Alpha Team members from Ogel and stopping production of the mind control orbs. As he rescued each Agent, these Agents could be used in certain later levels. The last level, "Mission Control", involved stopping Ogel's Boggle Rocket from takeoff to deny Ogel world domination. The original Alpha Team video game was developed for LEGO Media by the award-winning special effects company Digital Domain. When the original video game was in development, its working title was "LEGO Logic," and the team was called "TILT (Trans-International LEGO Team)."
There were several online games centered around the events of this theme, made using Macromedia Flash.
- The first, Evil Music, centred around Dash and Cam thwarting Ogel's plan to control the world's weather with an evil organ. The player used a special organ to send out good weather signals to thwart the evil weather signals that Ogel was sending out. Link: 1.
- The second starred Dash, Cam, Radia, Tee Vee and the Mission Deep Sea game. This game has included sound (the characters spoke instead of using dialogue bubbles).
- The next was a three-part game centering around the 2004/2005 Deep Freeze storyline. The three missions were named The First Encounter, Drones' Menace, and Ogel's Fortress, respectively. Unlike the other two games, which centered around Agents solving various puzzles, this game concentrated more on vehicular activity, although Agents could disembark at special pads to infiltrate Ogel's bases. From there, you could play as the characters. The biggest feature of this game was Alpha Mode, which allowed vehicles to transform to gain a different set of skills. However Tee Vee and Special Agent Zed were not included in this game. ( The end of Ogel's Fortress involved all alpha team vehicles in a boss battle against Ogel in his scorpion orb launcher and ice drones)
- Other small activities and features were also available in 2004.
- Ogel is LEGO spelled and pronounced backwards.
- Ogel is, apparently, a direct descendant of Vladek.
- LEGO never revealed whether Ogel or Zed won the final battle of the 2004 theme, although it is widely accepted that Zed was victorious, and the world was saved.
- Cam and Radia's names were often confused. This also applied to the 2004 minifigures, Arrow and Charge.
- The Alpha Team agents have a variation of the Classic Space logo on their jackets.
- The Alpha Team's logo in Mission Deep Freeze is similar to a mountain.
- The plot of the Hero Factory storyline revolves around a team knowns as the Alpha 1 Team, possibly referring to this theme.