Chess is a board game for two players, believed to have originated in North-West India during the Gupta empire, where its early form in the 6th century was known as Caturaṅga. The modern form of the game has emerged from Europe during the second half of the 15th century.
The game is played on a Chessboard, which is a square-checkered board with 64 squares arranged in an eight-by-eight grid. To begin the game, pieces are placed for each player on opposing ends of the board. Each player controls sixteen pieces; one King, one Queen, two Rooks, two Knights, two Bishops, and eight Pawns. The object of the game is to Checkmate the opponent's King, whereby the King is under immediate attack, and there is no way to remove or defend it from the attack on the next move.
All of the chess sets involved minifigures from medieval-inspired themes such as Knights' Kingdom II or Vikings, while the computer games offered a greater diversity by including figures from themes like Pirates or Western.
Related products Edit
- Chess sets
- G678 Knights' Kingdom Chess Set (2005, Knights' Kingdom II)
- G577 Vikings Chess Set (2006, Vikings)
- 852001 Castle Chess Set (2007, Castle (2007))
- 852293 LEGO Castle Giant Chess Set (2008, Castle (2007))
- 853373 Kingdoms Chess Set (2012, Kingdoms)
- Computer games
- Other sets
- 2586 LEGO Chess Promotional Set (1998), included a king on a throne