2010 – present
Minifigures, also known as Collectible Minifigures, is a Theme introduced in May 2010. Each series consists of polybags that contain 1 of 16 unique and exclusive minifigures. A new series is released every three to four months, with sixteen new unique and exclusive minifigures in each series (excluding the 8909 Team GB Minifigures, which includes nine minifigures and 71001 Minifigures Series 10, which includes 17). The minifigures can be based on movies, sports, fiction, history, or just average "a-day-in-the-life" professions. Each minifigure contains new elements in the form of accessories or uniquely printed body parts. Thirteen regular series, and three special series, have been released to date. In addition to regular series, five sets based on the theme exist, 850458 VIP Top 5 Boxed Minifigures, 850449 Minifigure Beach Accessory Pack, 850791 LEGO Minifigure Birthday Set, 850486 Rock Band, 850487 Halloween Accessory Set, and possibly more to come. There have also been some other sets released that were affiliated with the theme. Most of the sets contain redesigned minifigures that have been already produced but some of them are completely new, different and exclusive. It had a MMORPG, named LEGO Minifigures Online, but the LEGO Group announced it would be shut down in 2016.
DescriptionThe Collectible Minifigures, or Minifigures theme was introduced in May 2010. The first sneak peek of the theme was in the April 2010 LEGO Club Magazine, which included a poster of the minifigures. Each series, except the 8909 Team GB Minifigures and 71001 Minifigures Series 10, contains sixteen minifigures drawn from a wide range of different settings: movies, sports, history, everyday life and almost any other source imaginable. They are intended to be collected and traded, and designed so interesting new minifigures could be acquired without purchasing an entire new set.
Every minifigure features high detail including special, often purpose-made, accessories and a black display base, with the exception of 8909 Team GB Minifigures, which has a white display case. The theme features new accessories such as maracas, microphones, skirts, guitars, and other new elements such as hair styles, hats, and helmets. Series 1 and 2 include some spare accessories, but subsequent releases discontinued this practice. Many of these elements have not been produced in any subsequent sets.
The minifigures are sold in individual opaque polybags, meant to prevent buyers from identifying the contents. One way you can attempt to get a minifigure and knowing what is inside is by feeling the packaging. In the boxes, there are common (5 per box), uncommon (4 per box) and rare (3 per box) minifigures. However, barcodes on the backs of the polybags of Series 1 and 2 can be used to identify the respective minifigure, and in response, Series 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7, 8909 Team GB Minifigures and 8 use a "bump code" along the bottom of a package instead. These bump codes are designed to be much more difficult to distinguish. Each polybag contains 5-11 elements including a minifigure, accessories, a display base, and an instruction/checklist booklet. Each series is only available for a limited time, which is usually three to four months before the next series is released and will be able to replace its predecessor.
- The 8683 Minifigures Series 1 and 8684 Minifigures Series 2 polybags' content could be differentiated via imprinted barcodes on the back. This is used by applications such as Mini Collector for iPhone.
- There was also a special Olympics series for London 2012. It only featured nine figures and all of them have a special stand.
- The plastic used for Collectable Minifigures (Series 1-2) is different than the plastic used in other sets. Instead of ABS plastic, it is a cheaper plastic imported from China. As a result, the parts can be difficult to separate or move, such as the hands and the head which become loose quickly.
- Some minifigures are very similar to other or older minifigures from other themes, such as the Ninja (similar to Bonsai) or the Cowboy (similar to the minifigures from the Western theme).
- In July 2011, an e-mail was sent to V.I.P. members telling them to vote for their favourite minifigure from Series 1-3. The top 5 picked were announced in January 2012, and were revealed to be the Elf, the Fisherman, The Space Villain, the Gorilla Suit Guy, and the Mummy. A set was created featuring the chosen 5 in it, it was released in 2012, available only for V.I.P. members. However, due to the lack of the Spartan, most likely the all-time most popular figure along with the Elf, it is likely that the minifigures included were decided based on quantity of left-over figures.
- Series 7 has various throwbacks and references to other characters or sets. (The Elf says that he can track down Trolls, Evil Knight lists villains, saying he's worked for them, Galaxy Patrol says that he can withstand the Alien Clinger mind control, Hippie has a quote from a T-shirt on a previous set, and Swimming Champion says that Ocean King is her biggest fan.
- There is a possibility that some of the minifigures are previews of future themes for example: Ninja for Ninjago, Elf for The Lord of the Rings, Galaxy Patrol for Galaxy Squad, Policeman for City and Dinosaur suit man for Dino.
- An animal as a Minifigure's accessory was first used in Series 2 (Vampire's bat). From then polybags contained moulds of a fish (Fisherman and Ice Fisherman), a chimpanzee (Zoo Keeper and Jungle Boy), a snake (Egyptian Queen), a starfish (Mermaid), a seagull (Sea Captain), a chihuahua (Trendsetter), a cat (Grandma, Mrs. Scratchen-Post, and Halloween Witch), a clam (Marsha Queen of the Mermaids), a frog (Fairytale Princess), a cobra (Snake Charmer), a penguin (Wildlife Photographer), a spider (Spooky Boy), and a dog (Dog Show Winner).
- Other minifigures, Bandito, Traffic Enforcer and Trucker were rumored to be in a series, but were not minifigures for 71001 Minifigures Series 10, 71002 Minifigures Series 11, 71004 The LEGO Movie Series, or 71005 The Simpsons Series. They could be minifigures for future series. And also a Prospector from The LEGO Movie and a black and purple Jester in LEGO Minifigures MMO are confirmed to appear in 71007 Minifigures Series 12, but it is unknown if they will be based on the appearance from the movie and video game or not.
- Additional printing, such as back and arm printing, reversible heads, and so on, was not present in the first series, but has gradually become more common as the series progressed. The Olympics Series is the only series so far to have additional printing on every minifigure, as well as being the only series with white display bases with the Olympics' logo, the words "Team GB", and the Great Britain's team's logo. The minifigures that have this exceptional printing are:
- Series 1:
- Series 1:
- Series 2:
- Mime (Arms)
- Series 2:
- Team GB Minifigures:
- Judo Fighter (Back)
- Team GB Minifigures:
- Character Encyclopedia
- Toy Soldier (Arms)
- Character Encyclopedia
|8683 Minifigures Series 1||Yellow||2010|
|8684 Minifigures Series 2||Blue||2010|
|8803 Minifigures Series 3||Lime Green||2011|
|8804 Minifigures Series 4||Orange||2011|
|8805 Minifigures Series 5||Azure||2011|
|8827 Minifigures Series 6||White||2012|
|8831 Minifigures Series 7||Scarlet Red||2012|
|8833 Minifigures Series 8||Black||2012|
|71000 Minifigures Series 9||Silver||2013|
|71001 Minifigures Series 10||Gold||2013|
|71002 Minifigures Series 11||Metallic Green||2013|
|71007 Minifigures Series 12||Metallic Yellow||2014|
|71008 Minifigures Series 13||Metallic Lime Green||2015|
|71010 Minifigures Series 14 (Monsters)||Metallic Black||2015|
|71011 Minifigures Series 15||Metallic Orange||2016|
|71013 Minifigures Series 16||Bright Yellow||2016|
|8909 Team GB Series||White/Blue/Red||2012|
|71004 The LEGO Movie Series||Metallic Navy Blue||2014|
|71005 The Simpsons Series||Sky Blue||2014|
|71009 The Simpsons Series 2||Light Yellow & Sky Blue||2015|
|71012 Disney Series||Dark Blue||2016|
Other sets that include Collectable Minifigures
- Reprints several minifigures from Series 3, with some slight modifications. Color: Light blue
- Includes Race Car Driver
- Includes Rapper, Drummer, Guitarist
- Includes Santa
Olympics Team GB
The LEGO Movie
Picture from German 2010 consumer catalog.
- Toys "R" Us