- This article is about Nightwing out of costume. For Dick Grayson in costume, see Nightwing.
Young Richard John "Dick" Grayson was adopted by Bruce Wayne after his circus performer parents were killed by criminals led by gangster leader Tony Zucco. Once he discovered Bruce's secret, Dick became Batman's sidekick Robin and fought crime alongside him for several years.
After an argument with Bruce following a near-death experience facing the Joker, Dick left Gotham City and formed a new superhero team called the Teen Titans. He continued his alias as Robin until he was mentored by Superman, whereas he became inspired to create his new personal title of Nightwing. He occasionally returns to Gotham City whenever Bruce needs him most, and stands as an ally of Batman once again.
For now he makes trips between teams, and is close friends with members of each: Tim Drake (Robin), Commissioner Gordon, and his daughter and Barbara Gordon (Batgirl) from Gotham City; as well as Beast Boy, Cyborg, Supergirl, and Starfire from the Teen Titans.
In the New 52 comics, when the Crime Syndicate came from their Earth, they exposed Nightwing's identity. Unable to return to being Nightwing, he became a secret agent working for Spyral. He is now known as Agent 37.
As of 2016, Dick Grayson has returned to his mantle as Nightwing.
In the TV series Young Justice, Dick Grayson appears as a main character alongside Kid Flash, Miss Martian, Superboy, and Blue Beetle. He formed a close relationship with Zatanna following her debut. As of Season 2, he has ascended to the role of Nightwing. After Kid Flash sacrifices himself to protect the world from the Reach, Dick leaves the team for some time alone.
Gallery of Videogame Variants
- Though in console versions of LEGO Batman: The Videogame, Dick Grayson is only playable as Nightwing, his face is available for use in the character creator.
- His Batman variant has the same torso as Fedora.
- In LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, Robin's alter ego is named "Dick Grayson" as a mistake. However, at this point in the continuity, Dick is Nightwing. According to LEGO.com, Robin is Tim Drake in LEGO Batman 2, as Robin's civillian identity is shown as Tim Drake in the game. However, they updated the website to say Dick Grayson to match the game.
- In LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham, Dick Grayson appears as Robin (1966), Nightwing, and Agent Grayson.