Ninjago (subtitled "Masters of Spinjitzu") is a theme introduced in January 2011 and will continue on in 2014, despite an initial belief that it would be replaced by Legends of Chima in 2013. It will continue into 2014 as announced on the LEGO Message Boards. It was originally going to be replaced by Legends of Chima but after the announcement of its continuation the two themes will both exist at the same time.
Long before time had a name, Ninjago was created by the first Spinjitzu master, by using the four weapons of Spinjitzu: The Scythe of Quakes, The Nunchucks of Lightning, the Shurikens of Ice, and the Sword of Fire. The weapons were so powerful, that no one could handle all of their power at once. When he passed away, his two sons swore to protect them, but the oldest was consumed by darkness, and wanted to possess them. A battle between the brothers broke out, and the oldest was struck down and banished to the underworld. Peace returned, and the younger brother hid the weapons, but knowing his older brother's relentless ambition for power, he placed a guardian to protect them, and for fear of his own demise, a map for an honest man to hide. As Garmadon cannot leave the Underworld, he struck a deal with Samukai and his skeleton army. In preparation, Sensei Wu gathered four young ninja, Kai, Jay, Cole, and Zane, to learn the ways of Spinjitzu, and stop Lord Garmadon.[source?] After months of training, the four ninja began their quest to find the Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu to stop Garmadon's evil plans, and travel to the Caves of Despair to retrieve the Scythe of Quakes. After narrowly escaping a dragon protecting the weapon, the Ninja found the Nunchucks of Lightning and the Shurikens of Ice next, while Samukai's skeletal legions followed them.[source?] Kai was lured into a trap at the Fire Temple by Lord Garmadon, and the skeletons stole the three weapons, but Sensei Wu detained his brother's plan to unite the weapons at the temple by travelling to the Underworld with the last weapon, the Sword of Fire.[source?] After allying themselves with the four dragons, they journeyed to the Underworld to help Sensei and stop Garmadon once and for all. Using the Tornado of Creation, they destroyed the skeletons and made their way to the throne room of Garmadon's Dark Fortress, where a battle between Wu and Samukai broke out for the possession of the four weapons. Sensei was defeated, and Samukai, having possession of all four weapons, betrayed Garmadon and demanded he obey him, but he is destroyed by all the weapon's power, as Garmadon planned, and creates a portal through space and time that he travels through to grow strong enough to possess the Golden Weapons.[source?] After returning to the surface world, Sensei Wu knew Garmadon will one day return, and that the battle for Ninjago had only begun.
Season 1 (2012)
The four ninja have retired from training and enjoy peace in the world of Ninjago; but peace does not last. When Nya brings news of a new threat in the land, the son of the dark overlord Lord Garmadon, Lloyd Garmadon, unleashes the Serpentine tribes to be wreak havoc in Ninjago under his control. Kai, Cole, Zane and Jay unlock their true potential, learn the secrets of their Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu and train to face the five Serpentine tribes and stop them from unleashing The Great Devourer, a monstrous serpent-like reptile that will consume the entire land into darkness, along with the threat of Lord Garmadon's return looming in the horizon. It is discovered that he has a mysterious connection with the Serpentine.
Season 2 (2012-2013)
Immediately after the demise of the Devourer and the fall of Pythor, the Ninja find themselves facing their most difficult challenge yet: training Lloyd. But without the Bounty, they have no place to properly train him. The threat of the Serpentine still exists, along with Lord Garmadon, who still possesses the ninja's weapons. He uses the weapons to transform the destroyed Destiny's Bounty into the Black Bounty, a home for the Serpentine. The snakes have abandoned Skales to follow Lord Garmadon. After arriving at the Golden Peaks, Lord Garmadon combines the four Spinjitzu weapons into one ultimate Mega-Weapon. His goal is to destroy the ninja before they could finish training Lloyd, leaving the Green Ninja's prophecy unfulfilled, allowing him to recreate Ninjago in his own image.
With the Mega-Weapon destroyed, Lord Garmadon plots to find the Island of Darkness, mentioned in Captain Soto's log. He and his generals set off on an expedition to find it. Skales betrays Lord Garmadon, and leaves him stranded in the middle of the ocean, while he returns to Oroboris as the new Snake King. When a museum exhibit goes crazy, the ninja arrive to stop it. Apparently, the Great Devourer's venom can bring stone warriors to life. While at the museum, they run into Lloyd's mother, Misako, who tells the ninja the rest of the story on Ninjago's beginning.
Long ago, an evil spirit known as the Overlord plagued Ninjago with darkness, but was continually defeated by The First Spinjitzu Master. One day, the Overlord created his army of indestructible stone warriors, the Stone Army. The Spinjitzu Master knew he would lose, so he divided Ninjago in half, leaving the stone army and the Overlord on one side, and the peace and light on the other. The Over-Lord and his army were never seen again, until the Serpentine (lead by Skales) decided to burrow under Ninjago City in order to get revenge one the surface dwellers. Under the city, they found a tomb filled with Stone Warriors. The Stone Warriors are brought to life by the Devourer's venom, and they trap the Serpentine in the tomb, before invading Ninjago city.
The city's residents are forced to flee with the ninja to a hiding spot near the ocean. The heroes board the bounty and head for the Island of Darkness, in order to restore their elemental powers and defeat the Stone Army once and for all. Lord Garmadon, however, finds the Island of Darkness and the Overlord. The Overlord makes Garmadon the king of his army, and plots to help Garmadon recreate the world in his image. They then construct their ultimate weapon. The ninja arrive and, upon regaining their elemental powers through swords they find in the Temple of Light, attempt to thwart Garmadon and the Overlord, first by attempting to stop the final battle altogether and later by actually facing Garmadon. However, the Overlord takes over Garmadon's body, causes Lloyd to break his leg, and proceeds to use Dark Matter to turn all of Ninjago City's inhabitants evil while leaving the heroes stranded on the Island of Darkness. The ninja manage to leave the island, though, and Lloyd faces the Overlord in his fortress in Ninjago City, unleashing the power of the golden dragon and defeating the Overlord once and for all. Through this, Garmadon is also turned good again, and the ninja's work is done, though they still vow that they will always be ninja, ready to fight evil when they are needed.
Season 3 (2013-2014)
It’s been a long time since the Overlord was defeated by Lloyd the Golden Ninja. While Lloyd tours Ninjago celebrating his victory, the original four ninja -- Kai, Cole, Jay, and Zane -- have become teachers in Sensei Wu’s Youth Academy. Besides being bored in class all day, Kai and the rest of the ninjas dream of the days when they fought the forces of evil, but in the updated and technologically advanced world of Ninjago, there is no need for ninja any longer.
But that changes soon enough … trouble brews in New Ninjago City, famed inventor Cyrus Borg starts acting strange, and our four heroes get new weapons, new gear, and a new evil to fight!With Nya, Kai’s sister, by their side, the ninja join forces once again to protect the people of Ninjago! Lloyd is back stronger than ever, and the evil Lord Garmadon is now the peaceful Sensei Garmadon! Join the adventure to see new friends and favorite heroes as the world of Ninjago is once again caught in a battle between good and evil!
See also: List of Ninjago cards
The fighting style practiced by the characters of Ninjago is called Spinjitzu. This is also the name of the game associated with the theme. The fighters spin around and draw on their elemental strengths to become tornadoes of energy and steel. Several sets in the game include special spinner parts, customized for different characters. Players select their characters, the weapons the character will hold, and a small deck of ability cards to influence the duel. The characters are placed into the spinners and spun at each other like tops, with the goal being to knock the opponent's minifigure down.
The game was expanded in 2012 to include different suits for the ninjas, crowns for the spinners, and the inclusion of booster packs which consist of a minifigure, spinner accessories, and three weapons.
They have not released any Spinners since 2012.
The Four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu are the secrets to victory over Lord Garmadon and his army of skeletons. The ninjas and skeletons are always on the search for these weapons. These weapons are the Nunchucks of Lightning, the Scythe of Quakes, the Shuriken of Ice, and the Dragon Sword of Fire. They can not contact each other or else an explosion will happen.[source?]
The Four Elemental Weapons of Spinjitzu were first used by The First Spinjitzu Master. With the weapons it gave Lloyd, the Ultimate Spinjitzu Master his full potential so he could summon the power of the Golden Dragon.[source?]
Normal ninjas are the first variation.
DX is the second type of suit the ninja wear. These ninja wear dragon clothing. The dragons on their suits are all breathing different kinds of elements (Cole, dragon breathing rock; Zane, dragon breathing ice; Jay, dragon breathing lightning; Kai, dragon breathing fire). The ninjas in their DX attire also have gold and red spinners. Ninjas become DX rank once they tame their respective dragon.[source?] Strangely, though all DX ninjas are sold in a Spinner Battle Pack (except for Jay), no dragon was included.
Kendo Ninjas are the third variation of the ninja. Kendo uniforms are the original ninja robes with new helmet pieces with chest armour. In Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, the ninja use the Kendo armour for training[source?], however in the sets, they are often seen in combat with the Serpentine.
ZX is another type of suit worn by the ninja. These ninjas have shoulder pads that also include a round piece (representing a scabbard) to put Katanas in. They also include a different ninja mask that has a gold or silver visor. Lloyd Garmadon has a ZX variation to represent the Green Ninja.
NRG is another suit the ninja wear as minifigures. They depict the ninja when unlocking their true potential. They appeared in summer 2012 spinners. In NRG form, ninja are made of pure energy of their element.[source?] The emblems depict the symbol in the top left corner with the element coming from it in a vertical line, a horizontal line and a diagonal line. They look similar to the DX form. The first episode NRG appeared in was "Tick Tock" and the first ninja to use it was Zane. In the episode "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" Jay unlocked his full potential. In the episode "The Royal Blacksmiths" Cole unlocked his full potential. And in the episode "The Green Ninja" Kai unlocked his full potential.
These Robes was first introduced with Lloyd in LEGO Ninjago: Character Encyclopedia. It was known in the book as another ZX robe but when they get their new suits in the episode Island of Darkness they get them in the Temple of Light when Kai, Zane, Jay, Cole get their elemental powers back and Lloyd gets the power of the golden dragon fighting style, only practised by The First Spinjitzu Master.
Lloyd is a special case, as he has four robes, not six, and they are not necessarily the same as the others. He first comes in his "Lloyd Garmadon" alternative, which features a black hood, Lloyd's head, a shirt with a ribcage emblem and a green five, and short black legs. He then comes in a ZX alternative, a Kimono alternative, and, finally, the Ultimate Spinjitzu Master alternative.
The Techno Robes are going to be introduced in Rebooted series and the Sets 70720 - 70726. It is a new Robe for the 5 ninja for more sort of style and strength. In the Sets, they include a new weapon known as the Techno Blades. Those will be more updated to hack into the Nindroid vehicles systems. According to the Ninjago Rebooted Trailer, The Techno Robes and Blades were made by Cyrus Borg.
Each character is normally aligned to a particular element.
- Sensei Wu (Gold) Weapons: Golden Staff of Dragons, Katana Strength: Power of Creation, Wisdom[source?]
- Cole (Black) Weapons: Katana, Staff, Battle Hammer, The Scythe of Quakes, Trusty Axe, Golden Tri-Scythe, Golden-Bladed Saw Staff, Ninjago Sword Strength: Defense[source?]
- Jay (Blue) Weapons: Katana, Staff, Golden Spear, Nunchucks of Lighting, Golden Double-Bladed Sword, Silver Serpent Striker, Dragon's Fire, Golden Spear Strength: Speed[source?]
- Kai (Red) Weapons: Spear, Staff, Golden Katana, The Sword of Fire, Dark Axe, The Golden Point, Double-Bladed Dagger, Ninjago Sword Strength: Attack [source?]
- Nya/Samurai X (Red) Weapons: Daggers (2), Staff, Spear of Fire, Butterfly Sword, Golden Katana Strength: Intuition [source?]
- Zane (White) Weapons: Spear, Silver Katana, Shurikens of Ice, Staff, Golden Star Hammer, Dark Axe, Golden Pendulum Tusk Strength: Stealth[source?]
- Lloyd Garmadon/The Ultimate Spinjitsu Master (Green/Gold) Weapons: Super Bolt, Gold Katana, Golden Thunder Bolt, Golden Snake, Binding Staff, Spear of Forked-Tongues, Lightning Bolt Dagger[source?]
- Sensei Garmadon (Purple) Weapons: Lightning, Double-sided Skeli-scythe, Deceit, Power of destruction[source?]
- Bonezai (White) Weapons: Mace, Bone Axe, Golden Pickaxe. Strength: Stealth[source?]
- Chopov (Black) Weapons: Staff, Bone, Gold Machete. Strength: Defence[source?]
- Frakjaw (Red) Weapons: Golden Mace, Troll Scimitar, Bone. Strength: Attack[source?]
- Krazi (Blue) Weapons: Pickaxe, Golden Bone, Spiked Sword. Strength: Speed[source?]
- Kruncha (Black) Weapons: Golden Double-sided Axe, Bone, Chained Fang [source?]
- Wyplash (White) Weapons: Golden Dual Flail, Whip, Bone[source?]
- Nuckal (Blue) Weapons: Dark Blade, Golden Double-Sided Bone Axe, Chained Fang [source?]
- Samukai (Red) Weapons: Curved Daggers (4), Scythe of Quakes, Shurikens of Ice, and Nunchucks of Lightning, Sword of Fire[source?]
- Fangtom (Red) Weapons: Fangpyre Staff [source?]
- Fangdam (Red) Weapons: Shuriken, Fangpyre Staff, Fangpyre Viper, Golden Bi-Spear.[source?]
- Fang-Suei (Red and White) Weapons: Bananarang, Golden Viper, Dark Axe, Sly Viper[source?]
- Snappa (Red and White) Weapons: Golden Spear, Silver Dark Blade, Fang Spear [source?]
- Skales (Navy) Weapons: Hypnobrai Staff, Anchor, Major Spear, Staff of Light, Hypno Viper[source?]
- Slithraa (Navy) Weapons: Golden Spiked-Sword, Hypnobrai Staff[source?]
- Mezmo (Navy)Weapons: Golden Double Sided Axe Fang[source?]
- Rattla (Silver) Weapons: Golden Machete, Staff of Control, Hypno Viper[source?]
- Skalidor (Black/Orange) Weapons: Spear Axe, Constrictai Staff[source?]
- Bytar (Black) Weapons: Constrictai fang blade[source?]
- Chokun (Orange) Weapons: Golden Mace[source?]
- Snike (Orange) Weapons: Mace[source?]
- Acidicus (Green) Weapons: Hypnobrai Fang Blade, Venomari Staff[source?]
- Lizaru (Green) Weapons: Golden Dual Sided Fang Axe [source?]
- Spitta (Green) Weapons: Spear (?), Scythe Blade, Transpurple viper, Golden Toxic Toothpick[source?]
- Lasha (Lime Green) Weapons: Gold Axe, Venomari Fang Blade, Chained-Fang of Poison, Toxic Viper[source?]
- Overlord (Black)
- General Kozu (Red) Weapons: Swords x2, Swords x4[source?]
- Stone Swordsman
- Stone Scout
- Stone Warrior (Red/Black) Weapons: Swords x3[source?]
Video Game Only/Movie Only/Other
- Captain Soto Weapons: Hook, Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- No Eyed Pete Weapons: Paddle, Cannons[source?]
- First Mate Weapons: Swords, Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- Pirate 1 Weapons Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- Pirate 2 Weapons: Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- Pirate 3 Weapons: Hooks, Sword, Cannons[source?]
- Grand Sensei Dareth
- Dr. Julien
- Ed Walker
- Edna Walker
- Bank Owner
- Gayle Gossip
- Mother Doomsday
- The First Spinjitzu Master
- Brad Tudabone
- Patty Keys
- Kai's Father's Spirit
- Jamanakai Villagers
- Ninja Students
- Ninjago Teachers
- Pizza Man
Teamed with the Ninja
- See: List of Ninjago sets
There are currently 30 sets, 30 spinners, and 7 booster packs that have been released or are at least confirmed. The Sets' prices vary from $4.99 USD to $119.99 USD. Booster Packs are $4.99 USD. Spinners are $9.99 USD to $19.99 USD.
- Unlike the larger sets in the line, the minifigures and weapons in the Spinner sets are made from a cheaper Chinese plastic, rather than the usual ABS.
- The video game LEGO Universe featured a world called the "Ninjago Monastery".
- Crux Prime, a game world which features an area called the Maelstrom Quarry, which features a ruined part of Ninjago Monastery, a Ninja of Imagination named Neido, and Nuckal.
- The Ninjago Monastery, which unlike in the cartoon, is not set upon a high mountain, but rather as a floating planet chunk. Sensei Wu, Jay, Kai, Zane, Cole, Chopov, Krazi, Bonezai, and Frakjaw can be found here. It does not feature a training course.
- In episode 9 of Season 2, "The Royal Blacksmiths," when talking about the second Fang Blade, Cole references Clutch Powers, the main character from LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers.
- The "Rebooted" poster for the 2014 Ninjago sets reads in binary "NINDROID."
- In the LEGO Club Magazine for November and December, a poster was shown on the last page, saying, "Beware of the Nindroids," and showing a picture of Zane in his new robes facing backwards, looking at four Nindroids standing on a temple.
Other Ninjago Media
- Spinjitzu Smash!
- Spinjitzu Smash DX
- Spinjitzu Snakedown
- Smash Creations
- Smash Party
- Spinjitzu Spinball Snake Invasion
- Viper Smash
- Viper Smash ZX