2011 - Present
Ninjago (subtitled "Masters of Spinjitzu") is a current theme introduced in January 2011 and will continue on into 2015 as announced on the San Diego Comic Con and will have a movie in 2016, along with a sequel in 2018. It was going to be replaced by Legends of Chima originally, but after the announcement of its continuation the two themes will both exist simultaneously.
The theme takes very little influence from the previous Ninja theme, instead introducing a variety of elements such as a more modern setting, enemies such as Lord Garmadon, Skulkin, the Serpentine, Stone Army, the Overlord, and Nindroids and a battle game known as "Spinjitzu", with spinner sets for in 2011 and 2012, which were discontinued in 2013.
Long before time had a name, the world of Ninjago was created by the First Spinjitzu Master, by using the four Weapons of Spinjitzu: The Scythe of Quakes, The Nunchucks of Lightning, the Shurikens of Ice, and the Sword of Fire. The weapons were so powerful, that no mortal could handle all of their power at one time. When the Spinjitzu Master passed away, his two sons, Sensei Wu and Oldest/Sensei Garmadon swore to protect them, but Garmadon was consumed by darkness, and wanted to possess them. A battle between the two brothers broke out, and the oldest was struck down and banished to the Underworld. Peace returned to Ninjago, and the younger brother hid the weapons, but knowing his older brother's relentless ambition for power, he placed a guardian to protect them and for fear of his own demise, a map for an honest man to hide. As Garmadon cannot leave the Underworld, he struck a deal with Samukai and his Skeleton Army. In preparation, Sensei Wu gathered four young ninja, Kai, Jay, Cole, and Zane, to learn the ways of Spinjitzu, and stop Lord Garmadon.[source?] After months of training, the four ninja began their quest to find the Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu to stop Garmadon's evil plans, and travelled to the Caves of Despair to retrieve the Scythe of Quakes. After narrowly escaping the Earth Dragon protecting the weapon, the Ninja found the Nunchucks of Lightning and the Shurikens of Ice next, while Samukai's skeletal legions followed them.[source?] Kai was lured into a trap at the Fire Temple by Lord Garmadon, and the skeletons stole the three weapons, but Sensei Wu detained his brother's plan to unite the weapons at the temple by travelling to the Underworld with the last weapon, the Sword of Fire.[source?] After allying themselves with the four dragons, they journeyed to the Underworld to help Sensei and stop Garmadon once and for all using the dragons' ability to travel between the mortal world and the Unserworld. Using the Tornado of Creation, they destroyed the skeletons (locking them in a ferris wheel that they created out of Garmadon's Dark Fortress' entrance using the Tornado of Creation) and made their way to the throne room of Garmadon's Dark Fortress, where a battle between Wu and Samukai broke out for the possession of the four weapons. Sensei was defeated, and Samukai, having possession of all four weapons, betrayed Garmadon and demanded he obey him, but Samukai is destroyed by all the weapon's power, as Garmadon planned, and creates a portal through space and time that he travels through to reach an unknown location seen in the next season where Sensei Wu finds him with four arms using 'Travellers' Tea'. After returning to the surface world, Sensei Wu knew Garmadon will one day return, and that the battle for Ninjago had only begun.
Season 1 (2012)
The four ninja have retired from training and enjoy peace in the world of Ninjago; but peace does not last for long. When Nya brings news of a new threat in the land, the son of the dark overlord Lord Garmadon, Lloyd Garmadon, unleashes the Serpentine tribes to be wreak maximum carnage in Ninjago under his control. Kai, Cole, Zane and Jay unlock their true potential, learn the secrets of their Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu and train to face the five Serpentine tribes and stop them from unleashing The Great Devourer, a monstrous serpent-like reptile that will consume the entire land into darkness, along with the threat of Lord Garmadon's return looming in the horizon. It is discovered that Garmadon possesses a mysterious connection with the Serpentine as he was turned evil by the Great Devourer.
Season 2 (2012-2013)
Immediately after the demise of the Devourer and the fall of Pythor, the Ninja find themselves facing their most toughest challenge yet: training Lloyd. But without the Bounty, they have no place to properly train him. The threat of the Serpentine still exists, along with Lord Garmadon, who still possesses the ninja's weapons. He uses the weapons to transform the destroyed Destiny's Bounty into the Black Bounty, a home for the Serpentine. The snakes have abandoned Skales to follow Lord Garmadon. After arriving at the Golden Peaks, Lord Garmadon combines the four Spinjitzu weapons into one ultimate Mega-Weapon. His goal is to destroy the ninja before they could finish training Lloyd, leaving the Green Ninja's prophecy unfulfilled, allowing him to recreate Ninjago in his own image.
When the Mega-Weapon is destroyed Lord Garmadon will plot to find the Island of Darkness, mentioned in Captain Soto's log. He and his generals set off on an expedition to find it. Skales betrays Lord Garmadon, and leaves him stranded in the middle of the ocean, while he returns to Ouroboros as the new Snake King. When a museum exhibit goes crazy, the ninja arrive to stop it. Apparently, the Great Devourer's venom can bring stone warriors to life. While at the museum, they run into Lloyd's mother, Misako, who tells the ninja the rest of the story on Ninjago's beginning.
Long ago, an evil spirit known as the Overlord plagued Ninjago with darkness, but was continually defeated by The First Spinjitzu Master. One day, the Overlord created his army of indestructible stone warriors, the Stone Army. The Spinjitzu Master knew he would lose, so he divided Ninjago in half, leaving the stone army and the Overlord on one side, and the peace and light on the other. The Overlord and his army were never seen again, until the Serpentine (lead by Skales) decided to burrow under Ninjago City in order to get revenge one the surface dwellers. Under the city, they found a tomb filled with Stone Warriors. The Stone Warriors are brought to life by the Devourer's venom, and they trap the Serpentine in the tomb, before invading Ninjago city.
The city's residents are forced to flee with the ninja to a hiding spot near the ocean. The heroes board the bounty and head for the Island of Darkness, in order to restore their elemental powers and defeat the Stone Army once and for all. Lord Garmadon, however, finds the Island of Darkness and the Overlord. The Overlord makes Garmadon the king of his army, and plots to help Garmadon recreate the world in his image. They then construct their ultimate weapon. The ninja arrive and, upon regaining their elemental powers through swords they find in the Temple of Light, attempt to thwart Garmadon and the Overlord, first by attempting to stop the final battle altogether and later by actually facing Garmadon. However, the Overlord takes over Garmadon's body, causes Lloyd to break his leg, and proceeds to use Dark Matter to turn all of Ninjago City's inhabitants evil while leaving the heroes stranded on the Island of Darkness. The ninja manage to leave the island, though, and Lloyd faces the Overlord in his fortress in Ninjago City, unleashing the power of the golden dragon and defeating the Overlord once and for all. Through this, Garmadon is also turned good again, and although the ninja's work is done, they still vow that they will always be ninja, ready to fight evil when they are needed.
Season 3 (2013-2014)
It has been a long time since the Overlord was defeated by Lloyd the Golden Ninja. While Lloyd tours Ninjago celebrating his victory, the original four ninja -- Kai, Cole, Jay, and Zane -- have become teachers in Sensei Wu’s Youth Academy. Besides being bored in class all day, Kai and the rest of the ninjas dream of the days when they fought the forces of evil, but in the updated and technologically advanced world of Ninjago, there is no need for ninja any longer.
But that changes soon enough when trouble brews in New Ninjago City, famed inventor Cyrus Borg starts acting strange, four ninjas acccidentally find out that he is hiding the Techno-blades and they get new weapons, new gear, and a new evil to fight. They find out that Overlord is alive and lives as a digital virus in the Borg Industries. When Overlord discovers that ninjas found the Techno blades, he hacks the whole system and turns Sensei Wu into evil Tech Wu.
Digital Overlord's new servant P.I.X.A.L creates the army of evil Nindroids led by General Cryptor. P.I.X.A.L attacks ninjas' shelter, Sensei Garmadon's monastery, but Zane defeats her and re-programs her so she warns them about Nindroids. Lloyd and his father get separated from ninjas getting away to Hiroshi's Labyrinth while ninjas face Nindroids in attempt to turn off the power in the whole land and temporarily shut off the Overlord.
Pythor turns out to be alive. He survived being eaten by the Devourer and hid in the sewers. He helps Overlord with his plans. Ninjas discover Serpentines alive in their tomb, and they become friendly to them. Serpentines tell ninjas a story about the Golden Master, whose powers are stronger than The First Spinjitzu Master's. Overlord plans to become the Golden Master so he captures Lloyd and drains his golden powers. However, Borg finds the way how to defeat the digital Overlord so ninjas enter the Digiverse and fight the Overlord in his biggest form. They all turn into golden ninjas and defeat him, rebooting the system and turning Wu back to normal state, but too late, because Overlord already creates the Golden Master's body and uses it to escape the Digiverse. With OverBorg's help Pythor finishes his project Arcturus. He plans to get to the space and get the Golden Weapons back. Ninjas race with Nindroids to get them, and Nindroids get them. Overlord turns into the Golden master and Zane sacrifices and explodes, killing himself and the Overlord. However, it was hinted at the end that Zane survived.
Season 4 (2015)
It was announced at Comic Con 2014 that a new season will be released in 2015. According to a shopping site that leaked several new LEGO sets, the new villains will be the Anacondrai tribe who will have new skeleton snake heads. The season will include a yellow ninja. The plot will abandon the futuristic design for Ninjago City, and will revolve around the ninja discovering that they are not the only ones with elemental powers. It has announced that Zane will return for season 4.
Untitled Ninjago Movie is set to be released in summer 2016. The story is unknown, except that it will diverge from the plot of the TV series.
The Untitled Ninjago Movie will also have a sequel in 2018.
See also: List of Ninjago cards
The fighting style practiced by the characters of Ninjago is called Spinjitzu. This is also the name of the game associated with the theme. The fighters spin around and draw on their elemental strengths to become tornadoes of energy and steel. Several sets in the game include special spinner parts, customized for different characters. Players select their characters, the weapons the character will hold, and a small deck of ability cards to influence the duel. The characters are placed into the spinners and spun at each other like tops, with the goal being to knock the opponent's minifigure down.
The game was expanded in 2012 to include different suits for the ninjas, crowns for the spinners, and the inclusion of booster packs which consist of a minifigure, spinner accessories, and three weapons.
They have not released any Spinners since 2012.
The Four Golden Weapons of Spinjitzu are the secrets to victory over Lord Garmadon and his army of skeletons. The ninjas and skeletons are always on the search for these weapons. These weapons are the Nunchucks of Lightning, the Scythe of Quakes, the Shuriken of Ice, and the Dragon Sword of Fire. They can not contact each other or else an explosion will happen.[source?]
The Four Elemental Weapons of Spinjitzu were first used by The First Spinjitzu Master. With the weapons it gave Lloyd, the Ultimate Spinjitzu Master his full potential so he could summon the power of the Golden Dragon.[source?]
Ninja Traniees are the first variation. They include the Ninja in normal outfits with their symbols attached to a rope.
DX is the second type of suit the ninja wear. These ninja wear dragon clothing. The dragons on their suits are all breathing different kinds of elements (Cole, dragon breathing rock; Zane, dragon breathing ice; Jay, dragon breathing lightning; Kai, dragon breathing fire). The ninjas in their DX attire also have gold and red spinners. Ninjas become DX rank once they tame their respective dragon.[source?] Strangely, though all DX ninjas are sold in a Spinner Battle Pack (except for Jay), no dragon was included. DX stands for Dragon Xtreme
Kendo Ninjas are the third variation of the ninja. Kendo uniforms are the original ninja robes with new helmet pieces with chest armour. In Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, the ninja use the Kendo armour for training[source?], however in the sets, they are often seen in combat with the Serpentine.
ZX is another type of suit worn by the ninja. These ninjas have shoulder pads that also include a round piece (representing a scabbard) to put Katanas in. They also include a different ninja mask that has a gold or silver crest. Lloyd Garmadon has a ZX variation to represent the Green Ninja. ZX stands for Zen Xtreme
NRG is another suit the ninja wear as minifigures. This variant depicts the ninja when they unlock their true potential. They appeared in summer 2012 spinners. In NRG form, ninja are made of pure energy of their element.[source?] The emblems depict the symbol in the top left corner with the element coming from it in a vertical line, a horizontal line and a diagonal line. They look similar to the DX form. The first episode NRG appeared in was "Tick Tock" and the first ninja to use it was Zane. In the episode "Once Bitten, Twice Shy" Jay unlocked his full potential. In the episode "The Royal Blacksmiths" Cole unlocked his full potential. And in the episode "The Green Ninja" Kai unlocked his full potential. Lloyd Garmadon full's potential was The Golden Ninja, although this was revealed over a whole season later.
These Robes was first introduced with Lloyd in LEGO Ninjago: Character Encyclopedia. It was known in the book as another ZX robe but when they get their new suits in the episode Island of Darkness they get them in the Temple of Light when Kai, Zane, Jay, Cole get their elemental powers back and Lloyd gets the power of the golden dragon fighting style, only practiced by The First Spinjitzu Master.
The Techno variants were introduced in the Rebooted series and the Sets 70720 - 70728. It is a new robe for the five ninja, for more style and strength. In the sets, they include a new weapon known as the Techno Blades. Those will be more updated to hack into the Overlord's systems. The Techno Robes and Blades were made by Cyrus Borg. In the later wave, newer versions of suits were introduced, which are more armored and have different body. Ninjas got them putting on the ancient Stone Army armor on to protect themselves from the Golden Master. Zane has his exclusive version of Techno Robes (damaged), included in 70724 and The Visual Dictionary.
Lloyd is a special case, as he has five robes, not seven, and they are not necessarily the same as the others. He first comes in his "Lloyd Garmadon" alternative, which features a black hood, Lloyd's head, a shirt with a ribcage emblem and a green five, and short black legs. He then comes in a ZX alternative, a Kimono alternative, the Ultimate Spinjitzu Master alternative, and finally, his Techno Robe variant.
2015 elementary unknown
- a confirmed variant uses clear color and similar to rebooted variant transformed by unknown elementary weapons. They will feature bare arms probably because they will be fighting in the jungle.
Each character is normally aligned to a particular element. However, this may not be true with the 2014 Nindroids, since they are all drones and as of now have no elemental powers.
- Sensei Wu (Gold) Weapons: Golden Staff of Dragons, Katana Strength: Power of Creation, Wisdom[source?]
- Cole (Black) Weapons: Katana, Staff, Battle Hammer, The Scythe of Quakes, Trusty Axe, Golden Tri-Scythe, Golden-Bladed Saw Staff, Ninjago Sword Strength: Defense[source?]
- Jay (Blue) Weapons: Katana, Staff, Golden Spear, Nunchucks of Lighting, Golden Double-Bladed Sword, Silver Serpent Striker, Dragon's Fire, Golden Spear Strength: Speed[source?]
- Kai (Red) Weapons: Spear, Staff, Golden Katana, The Sword of Fire, Dark Axe, The Golden Point, Double-Bladed Dagger, Ninjago Sword Strength: Attack [source?]
- Nya/Samurai X (Red) Weapons: Daggers (2), Staff, Spear of Fire, Butterfly Sword, Golden Katana Strength: Intuition [source?]
- Zane (White) Weapons: Spear, Silver Katana, Shurikens of Ice, Staff, Golden Star Hammer, Dark Axe, Golden Pendulum Tusk Strength: Stealth[source?]
- Lloyd Garmadon/The Ultimate Spinjitsu Master (Green/Gold) Weapons: Super Bolt, Gold Katana, Golden Thunder Bolt, Golden Snake, Binding Staff, Spear of Forked-Tongues, Lightning Bolt Dagger[source?]
- Sensei Garmadon (Green) Weapons: Lightning, Double-sided Skeli-scythe, Deceit, Ninjo
- Bonezai (White) Weapons: Mace, Bone Axe, Golden Pickaxe. Strength: Stealth[source?]
- Chopov (Black) Weapons: Staff, Bone, Gold Machete. Strength: Defence[source?]
- Frakjaw (Red) Weapons: Golden Mace, Troll Scimitar, Bone. Strength: Attack[source?]
- Krazi (Blue) Weapons: Pickaxe, Golden Bone, Spiked Sword. Strength: Speed[source?]
- Kruncha (Black) Weapons: Golden Double-sided Axe, Bone, Chained Fang [source?]
- Wyplash (White) Weapons: Golden Dual Flail, Whip, Bone[source?]
- Nuckal (Blue) Weapons: Dark Blade, Golden Double-Sided Bone Axe, Chained Fang [source?]
- Samukai (Red) Weapons: Curved Daggers (4), Scythe of Quakes, Shurikens of Ice, and Nunchucks of Lightning, Sword of Fire[source?]
- Fangtom (Red) Weapons: Fangpyre Staff [source?]
- Fangdam (Red) Weapons: Shuriken, Fangpyre Staff, Fangpyre Viper, Golden Bi-Spear.[source?]
- Fang-Suei (Red and White) Weapons: Bananarang, Golden Viper, Dark Axe, Sly Viper[source?]
- Snappa (Red and White) Weapons: Golden Spear, Silver Dark Blade, Fang Spear [source?]
- Skales (Navy) Weapons: Hypnobrai Staff, Anchor, Major Spear, Staff of Light, Hypno Viper[source?]
- Slithraa (Navy) Weapons: Golden Spiked-Sword, Hypnobrai Staff[source?]
- Mezmo (Navy)Weapons: Golden Double Sided Axe Fang[source?]
- Rattla (Silver) Weapons: Golden Machete, Staff of Control, Hypno Viper[source?]
- Skalidor (Black/Orange) Weapons: Spear Axe, Constrictai Staff[source?]
- Bytar (Black) Weapons: Constrictai fang blade[source?]
- Chokun (Orange) Weapons: Golden Mace[source?]
- Snike (Orange) Weapons: Mace[source?]
- Acidicus (Green) Weapons: Hypnobrai Fang Blade, Venomari Staff[source?]
- Lizaru (Green) Weapons: Golden Dual Sided Fang Axe [source?]
- Spitta (Green) Weapons: Spear (?), Scythe Blade, Transpurple viper, Golden Toxic Toothpick[source?]
- Lasha (Lime Green) Weapons: Gold Axe, Venomari Fang Blade, Chained-Fang of Poison, Toxic Viper[source?]
- Overlord (Black)
- General Kozu (Red) Weapons: Swords x2, Swords x4[source?]
- Stone Swordsman
- Stone Scout
- Stone Warrior (Red/Black) Weapons: Swords x3[source?]
- General Cryptor (Black/Purple)
- Nindroid Warrior
- Nindroid Drone
- Evil Wu
- Overlord(Digital form)
Video Game Only/Movie Only/Other
- Captain Soto Weapons: Hook, Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- No Eyed Pete Weapons: Paddle, Cannons[source?]
- First Mate Weapons: Swords, Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- Pirate 1 Weapons Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- Pirate 2 Weapons: Cutlass, Cannons[source?]
- Pirate 3 Weapons: Hooks, Sword, Cannons[source?]
- Grand Sensei Dareth
- Dr. Julien
- Ed Walker
- Edna Walker
- Bank Owner
- Gayle Gossip
- Mother Doomsday
- The First Spinjitzu Master
- Brad Tudabone
- Patty Keys
- Kai's Father's Spirit
- Jamanakai Villagers
- Ninja Students
- Ninjago Teachers
- Jamie Olive
- Pizza Man
- See: List of Ninjago sets
There are currently 30 sets, 30 spinners, and 7 booster packs that have been released. The Sets' prices vary from $4.99 USD to $119.99 USD. Booster Packs are $4.99 USD. Spinners are $9.99 USD to $19.99 USD.
- Unlike the larger sets in the line, the minifigures and weapons in the Spinner sets are made from a cheaper Chinese plastic, rather than the usual ABS.
- The video game LEGO Universe featured a world called the "Ninjago Monastery".
- Crux Prime, a game world which features an area called the Maelstrom Quarry, which features a ruined part of Ninjago Monastery, a Ninja of Imagination named Neido, and Nuckal.
- The Ninjago Monastery, which unlike in the cartoon, is not set upon a high mountain, but rather as a floating planet chunk. Sensei Wu, Jay, Kai, Zane, Cole, Chopov, Krazi, Bonezai, and Frakjaw can be found here. It does not feature a training course.
- In episode 9 of Season 1, "The Royal Blacksmiths," when talking about the second Fang Blade, Cole references Clutch Powers, the main character from LEGO: The Adventures of Clutch Powers.
- The "Rebooted" poster for the 2014 Ninjago sets reads in binary "NINDROID."
- In the LEGO Club Magazine for November and December, a poster was shown on the last page, saying, "Beware of the Nindroids," and showing a picture of Zane in his new robes facing backwards, looking at four Nindroids standing on a temple.
- Sources say that there are two untitled LEGO animated films for May 25, 2018 and May 29, 2019. They suggest that the 2018 movie could be the sequel to the planned LEGO Ninjago movie 
Other Ninjago Media
- Spinjitzu Smash!
- Spinjitzu Smash DX
- Spinjitzu Snakedown
- Smash Creations
- Smash Party
- Spinjitzu Spinball Snake Invasion
- Viper Smash
- Viper Smash ZX
- The Final Battle
- Rebooted (game)
- Spinjitzu Scavenger Hunt
- LEGO Ninjago: Rise of the Snakes
- LEGO Ninjago - The Final Battle
- LEGO Ninjago - Rebooted (game)
- ↑ Spinners have not been confirmed to return yet.The Great American Roadtrip - 18 - The Great Bricks Cascade - BZPower. Author Sumiki, comment on Ninjago ending by Kevin Hinkle, posted 02/06/12
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑