This faction was gradually replaced by the very similar Imperial Guards in 1992-93.
The Soldiers were a faction of the Pirates theme first released in 1989 along with the Pirates faction. In the LEGO Battles, the Imperials were the "good guy" faction to the Pirates, and were the protectors of the Carribean. They were led by Governor Broadside and Lt. de Martinet, and their only goal was to capture or kill Captain Redbeard and his crew. The Soldiers can be said to be based off of the French Navy and Marines of the colonial era with their blue uniforms and fleur-de-lis; the Soldiers' flag is, in fact, based on the flag of Quebec.
The Soldiers faction was gradually supplanted by the very similar Imperial Guards in 1992-93, which had red flags and uniforms instead of the Soldiers' blue. The Guards' largest sets replaced their Soldiers' equivalents in 1992, but the older Soldiers' sets that continued in production for 1992 and 1993 were then considered part of the Guards faction in the catalog until their discontinuation at the end of 1993. It can be suggested that the Guards and Soldiers were not actually different factions, rather the Guards was just an update to the anti-pirates side.
The Soldiers often found themselves outgunned and outsized on the open waters; their largest ship, the 6274 Caribbean Clipper, was only half the size of the 6285 Black Seas Barracuda. But their fortress, 6276 Eldorado Fortress, was an impregnable fort that could withstand any bombardment.
Their flag was a blue flag with a large white cross that divided it into four small blue fields at each of the corners with black fleurs-de-lis on them and with a crown and crossed cannons in the center. The small version was a blue flag with a white cross that has a black fleur-de-lis at its center.
All of the soldiers uniforms were blue jackets with crossed white belts on their chest. They also wore white pants. Most were armed with muskets, but higher ranking officers and troopers often carried swords and pistols.
- Governor Broadside: Governor of all of the Imperial Soldiers. He was most seen in El Dorado, and had a daughter, Camille. He wore a black hat called a bicorne with white trim, gold epaulettes, and a regal jacket.
- Lt. de Martinet: The second in command of the Imperial Soldiers. He was distinguished from the other soldiers by his brown beard. He also wore the gold epaulettes of high rank, and carried a sword and pistol.
- Camille: Niece of Broadside, has a crush on Will.(Comic)
- Soldiers: Also known as troopers, these are the main infantry force of the Soldiers faction. Their uniform consists of a high hat called a shako, red epaulettes, and a backpack. They were the guards of El Dorado and other land forts.
- Imperial Soldier - Sailor: This elite branch of Imperial Soldiers were found on board naval vessels and wore the traditional uniform, red epaulettes, and wore a tricorne hat. Unlike regular troopers, marines did not carry a backpack. These were released in the first Soldiers set, 6274 Caribbean Clipper. Imperial Soldier - Sailor can also be built from regular troopers by removing the backpack and switching the shako with the Lieutenant's tricorne.
|6265||Sabre Island||92||Lt. de Martinet, Imperial Soldier (2)||1989|
|6274||Caribbean Clipper||393||Governor Broadside, Imperial Soldier - Sailor (3)||1989|
- Other appearances
- 6251 Pirate Mini Figures (1990), includes a trooper and Lt. de Martinet
- 6270 Forbidden Island (1989), includes a locked up trooper
- 6273 Rock Island Refuge (1991), includes a sailing boat with a trooper and Lt. de Martinet