Nunchucks of Lightning
- This article is about the Ninjago character. For the character in LEGO Racers 2, see Jay (LEGO Racers 2).
- "Lighten up. We're in an underground fight club, this is supposed to be fun."
- ―Jay in "Only One Can Remain"
Jay Walker is the blue ninja of lightning minifigure released in 2011 with the Ninjago theme. He is the second Ninja recruited by Sensei Wu and the first of the Ninja to learn Spinjitzu. He is the Elemental Master of lightning. He is the main protagonist of the theme's 2016 storyline. His love interest is Kai's sister, Nya. His parents are Ed Walker and Edna Walker.
Jay appears in fourteen physical variations; his trainee, Dragon eXtreme, a Zen eXtreme, Kendo, Energy, kimono, Microfigure, Techno, Tournament, Jungle, Deepstone, Airjitzu, Sky, and Sky robe (with eyepatch).
As a normal ninja, Jay has the classic ninja wrap first used in the Ninja theme from 1998, but in blue for the first time. Jay's face print (which would normally be covered by the ninja wrap with the exception of his eyes) is made up of two black eyes with white pupils, a small, yet determined, frown with a line below showing a chin, and two eyebrows, one of which is cut through. His torso is a blue ninja robe with black hands and no back-printing. The printing that is on the front, reveals darker blue (Earth Blue) clothing under his robes. Also on the torso, is a little golden emblem, which is most likely a symbol of lightning in Ninjago, that also appears on Jay's spinner. Jay's legs in this variation are blue with a darker blue knot pattern printed on the hips and legs.
As a DX ninja, Jay uses the same face and headgear as his first variation, but utilizes a special torso and legs combination. Jay's DX torso features printing on both the front and back; on the front, a golden depiction of the Lightning Dragon. On the back, the name Jay is printed on in gold. On the legs, a different knot tied to his right. Also on the legs, is a continuation of the lightning dragon design, where the tail is printed.
As a Microfigure, Jay is basically a Jay as a normal ninja in a smaller scale.
In Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, Jay appeared as both a normal ninja and a DX ninja, however his facial expressions were changed to make him seem more friendly. He was also given the same hair as Mutt Williams (from the Indiana Jones theme) when he removed his wrap.
In the 2012 sets, he appears as a ZX ninja, a NRG ninja, and as a Kendo ninja. The Kendo variant has a face guard over his face and black armor fitted over his normal ninja clothes. As a ZX ninja, he can be seen with a new head-cloth with a metal point at the tip. Also, he had a re-designed torso, with a tucked cloth and a dagger sheath.
In 2013, his Elemental Robe variant was released. It is designed as a black robe with many blue colourings, and a blue headpiece. A silver crown is on it once again. His Ninja symbol is on his back surrounded by silver highlights.
In the Ninjago: Rebooted sets, Jay receives a makeover, like the other ninja. For the first time, his hair piece appears with him. His mask, like the other ninjas', is like the ZX/Kimono masks, but it does not cover his head, only the mouth. (Cyrus Borg claims it's to prevent facial recognition.) His torso features a strap with a symbol like that of his Kimono's (the word "sheep" in kanji), lightning bolts across his uniform (reminiscent of his NRG form), and clips fastening the straps to his shirt. His pants are solid blue. His back looks very similar to his Kimono form.
Jay was an inventor to be discovered by Sensei Wu while testing a glider he had recently invented. He was the adopted son of Ed Walker and Edna Walker, but his real father was Cliff Gordon, actor of a comic character that Jay idolized. He was brought to Wu's monastery to train in the ways of Spinjitzu. He trained alongside fellow students Zane and Cole. The three later attacked an intruder that they found in the monastery. After a fight started between the four, Wu appeared to break it up and introduced the newcomer as his fourth student, Kai. Wu then announced to the four ninjas that the search for the Four Golden Weapons was about to begin.
At the Caves of Despair, location of the Scythe of Quakes, after the scythe was recovered by the ninjas, they are attacked by an army of Skullkins led by Samukai, the king of the underworld. Jay notices the enemies to be just like the training course, and after going through the motions Wu taught him, he summoned a tornado of lightning corresponding with his element. In other words: he performed spinjitzu, followed by the others. Samukai and his legion retreat, as a dragon protecting the Scythe appeared behind the ninja. In desperation, Kai uses the scythe, despite Wu's instruction not to use the weapon's power, as no mortal could handle it. A rift appears in the cave ceiling, and the ninja manage to escape. As the ninja are heading to the shurikens of ice, Wu teaches them the most powerful move in spinjitzu: the Tornado of Creation. The boat arrives, crashing into the island, and the ninja enter the frozen plains. Jay and the rest of the ninjas recovered the Shurikens of Ice. Next, At the Floating Ruins, they climb a giant nunchuck to the nunchucks of lightning, jumping down to escape the lightning dragon. The four use special inventions made by Jay, who made backpacks that spawn wings. The ninja are at such a high altitude that they are able to fly to all the way to the Forest of Tranquility, the location of the Sword of Fire. The group then go to sleep in the forest. Kai leaves while the others are asleep as he is under the impression that his sister, Nya is in the forest. Wu later leaves to follow Kai, while Jay, Zane, and Cole are still in slumber. Samukai and the army of Skullkins then arrive, steal three of the golden weapons, and tie the remaining members of the group to a tree. Jay grabs General Nuckal's sword and cuts the rope while the skullkins are not looking. The three ninjas then try to chase the Skullkins in their vehicles, but they escape to the Underworld. The ninjas then go to the Fire Temple where Zane senses the location of the Sword of Fire. Kai and Nya then appear with the fire dragon. Jay then learned of the sacrifice that Wu made. The ninjas then retrieve their elemental dragons and travel to the underworld. While in the underworld, Jay battled the skullkins (once again) and giant spiders. He then witnessed Samukai defeat Sensei Wu and take the sword of fire from him. Samukai was then seemingly destroyed, but the combined power of the weapons allowed Lord Garmadon, Wu's evil brother, to escape from the underworld. Jay then travelled to Kai and Nya's village where he and the other ninjas were welcomed as heroes. Jay had a small moment with Nya, she tells him blue is her favorite color, and Jay replies YES! she also tells Kai and Jay she's happy they are back. Then they hit their golden weapons together creating an explosion.
Jay also appeared in most of the Ninjago Mini-Movies. In the first, he gave Nya a ride to the Blacksmith to pick up a few things, as she is moving in with Kai and the Ninja at the Monastery. He also took part in the dragon race between the other three in the second. He was briefly heard and seen in the third when Kruncha and Knuckal tried to steal the Golden Weapons, and was also seen flying on his dragon in the 6th.
In the Spinjitzu Smash online game, Jay appeared in three of the four campaigns. In his respective campaign, he and Nya built a balloon and journeyed to the Sky Temple to retrieve the Nunchucks of Lightning. In Zane's campaign, Jay accompanied the ninja of ice on his quest to retrieve the Shurikens of Ice. In Cole's campaign, Jay appeared as an illusion that led Cole to the cave where Carridi's daughter and the Scythe of Quakes were being held by Skullkins. Jay was only playable in his respective campaign.
Also, in the game Smash Creations, Jay says that Nya is a great kisser when Sensei Wu tells Kai that she is not just an ordinary village girl, thus it can be assumed Jay has kissed Nya before, though he could just be joking with Kai. When Kai leads the charge before the last battle, Jay says he fights for love, further implying his feelings for Nya.
In the new Ninjago mini-movie, Rise of the Snakes, his opptomism reaches its' peak with the battle of the Serpentine. After the ninjas go to Jamanakai village to investigate the report of Lord Garmadon's return, the ninjas find Lloyd Garmadon terrorizing the villagers. After leaving him to the villagers, they find the scroll about the Green Ninja, he is the most intrigued. During the contest to decipher who it was, he lost first to Kai. Then Sensei Wu broke up the fight. After returning to Jamonicia village to investigate the Serpentine's return, he is relieved to see Nya has returned safely. Jay makes little appearance in this battle, only to say they are out of shape during the battle.
In the second premier, Home, he is annoyed by Zane when he laughs at a movie when he and Nya are crying. He and the other ninjas train to unlock the golden weapons when Zane tells them to follow him. After arriving at Lloyd Garmadon's treehouse, he finds it very cool and interesting. Nevertheless, he follows the ninja to destroy it. When Cole is hypnotized, he tries to shock him with lightning, to no avail. When Sensei Wu brings Cole out of the trance using the sacred flute, he is devastated that the Serpentine destroyed all their video games. After they discover Destiny's Bounty, he is the first to comment on the food.
In the eighth episode "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", he takes Nya out on a date for the first time. But it doesn't go at all as planned. He begins to turn into a snake and is too shy to tell Nya. Then Nya is chained up by Pythor on a roller coaster leading to a circle of fire. He reaches his true potential when Nya kisses him (Which makes his heart rate go up rapidly, repelling the Fangpyre Venom) and he discovers that he just needs to be who he is.
In "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master", Jay and the rest of the club have many small battles with Lord Garmadon as the master of evil figures out new ways to kill the ninja. When Ninjago City breaks out in an earthquake and mysterious Stone Warriors show up in the midst of the confusion, they discover that their skills are no match for their new enemies. He and Cole are hit by Dark Matter towards the end of the TV series while protecting Lloyd, making them very briefly evil beings like Nya. At the end of the episode, Cole, Nya, Jay, and Zane, who was also struck, are changed back.
In Ninjago: REBOOTED, Jay appears to be Cole's rival after finding out Nya has feelings for Cole too.
In Season 4, The Tournament of Elements, Jay had quit the team after the death of Zane, he was hosting a Ninja obstacle course. When Lloyd showed asking him to return to the team he revealed he left because he was tired of Cole trying to steal Nya from him. When the gang was summoned to Chen's Noodles for Lloyd's second attempt at getting the gang back together. They ended up find out about that Zane was alive and being held captive an elemental tournament run by Master Chen.
In Season 5, a brief part is shown, in which Jay looks into a piece of ice, seeing his reflection in the future. Jay wears an eye patch, as he was most likely blinded and is married to Nya.
Gallery of Variants
- 2257 Spinjitzu Starter Set (Original)
- 2259 Skull Motorbike (Original)
- 2263 Turbo-Shredder (Original)
- 2506 Skull Truck (Original)
- 2519 Skeleton Bowling (DX)
- 2521 Lightning Dragon Battle (DX)
- 3856 Ninjago (Microfigure)
- 9442 Jay's Storm Fighter (ZX)
- 9445 Fangpyre Truck Ambush (ZX)
- 9446 Destiny’s Bounty (Kendo)
- 9553 Jay ZX (ZX)
- 9570 NRG-Jay (NRG)
- 9450 Epic Dragon Battle (ZX)
- 30082 Ninja Training (Original)
- 30084 Jay (Original)
- 30085 Jay (ZX)
- 853098 Jay Key Chain (Original)
- 853102 Ninjago Magnet Set (Original)
- 5000030 Kendo Jay Booster Pack (Kendo)
- 70736 Attack of the Morro Dragon (Deepstone)
- 70740 Airjitzu Jay Flyer (Airjitzu)
- 70737 Titan Mech Battle (Deepstone)
- 70749 Enter the Serpent (Zukin)
- 70751 Temple of Airjitzu (Deepstone)
- 70754 ElectroMech (Tournament)
- 71215 Ninjago Jay Fun Pack (Zukin)
- 70594 The Lighthouse Siege (Skybound)
- 70595 Ultra Stealth Raider (Day of the Departed)
- 70596 Samurai X Cave Chaos (Day of the Departed)
- 70602 Jay's Elemental Dragon (Skybound)
- 70605 Misfortune's Keep (Skybound) (Eye Patch)
- Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- "Pilot Episodes"
- "Season 1"
- "Season 2"
- "Season 3"
- LEGO Club Magazine Issue 1 2011 - Lessons of the Dojo!
Video Game Appearances
“I'll be shocked, if we lose."
- Jay to Kai, Cole, and Zane
- "Shocked to see me?"
- "Why must we go through this again? I'm clearly the best! I mean, look at me!"
- "Wait until you see my new invention!"
- "All right guys, let's chop-socky this lemonade stand!"
- "We're savin' a girl? Is she hot?"
- ―Jay to Kai
- "Ha! Tell me what?"
- ―Jay to Nya and Cole
- "I should've packed an extra pair of underwear!"
- "Zane. No."
- ―Jay responding to Zane's joke
- "You're sensei! You always know! You have a long white beard!"
- "The power of positive thinking!"
- Jay is the boyfriend of Nya again.
- Jay is adopted by Ed & Edna, but Nadakhan reveals that his father is Cliff Gordon. Although Nadakhan reveals who his real father is, Nadakhan doesn't manage to reveal who Jay's real Mother is.
- Jay was the first of the ninja to do spinjitzu.
- Jay was the second ninja to unlock his true potential.
- As of Episode 8, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy", Jay has been in a relationship with Nya, Kai's sister.
- He is the third Ninjago protagonist to be temporary turned into a snake. The first 2 were his parents, the 4th being Skylor, and the last being Garmadon.
- In "Double Trouble" he is the only ninja to not need the help of Darkley's bad boys to defeat his "Bizarro" self.
- In LEGO Battles: Ninjago and Rebooted season and sets he has orange-ish hair instead of normal brown.
- Baxter Stockman from the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles theme re-uses his armour piece from 2012.
- Jay is the only ninja to not have a DX spinner set.
- Jay has a Cyrus Borg poster on the wall of his room.
- In the latest season, Jay has red hair instead of the previous brown. It is the same in the Thunder Raider
- The symbol on his mask is the Japanese/Chinese symbol for "sheep". It is unknown if it has anything to do with the element or his personality, but the description of sheep is that they are easily led astray and influenced. This seems to fit Jay pretty well, as he is often distracted. It also means 'lightning' in Kanji.
- It is revealed in Versus that although he missed Nya, he missed Cole being his friend even more.
- His adoptive name is a pun on "jaywalker", a slur made up the automobile industry to monopolize the street in favor of motor vehicles and slander pedestrians.
- He gained his eye patch when Dogshank punched him, resulting in him having one blind eye.