The first movie and TV-based licensed themes were introduced in 1999, Star Wars and Winnie the Pooh. Lucasfilm's license with LEGO has lasted for quite some time, and is still ongoing. Disney has been quite on and off in terms of themes.
After the success of these licenses, Warner Bros. decided to jump into the action. They introduced Batman in 2006.
Brands Sponsored Edit
- A new DUPLO license, Winnie the Pooh, starts.
- Star Wars starts.
- Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace sets released.
- Mickey Mouse sets released.
- Disney's Baby Mickey sets released.
- First licensed Key Chains.
- First Star Wars TECHNIC set.
- Bob the Builder has its first DUPLO release.
- Harry Potter is released.
- LEGO Creator: Harry Potter released on PC.
- Studios subtheme Jurassic Park III released.
- DUPLO Winnie the Pooh ends.
- Bob the Builder is now part of Explore.
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones released.
- First Star Wars Mini set.
- LEGO Creator: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets released on PC.
- Williams F1 sets released.
- Galidor is released, then discontinued.
- Spider-Man is released as a Studios subtheme.
- Little Robots is released.
- Spider-Man becomes an independent theme.
- Sports Basketball is released, and includes licensed players and shirts.
- Discovery starts, based on NASA space missions.
- Williams F1 discontinued.
- Ferrari is released in DUPLO form, however, it lasts only a year.
- Ferrari is released under Racers
- No Bob the Builder releases.
- Dora the Explorer is released, part of Explore.This theme includes sets based on Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go.
- Spider-Man is released in 4 Juniors.
- Little Robots is discontinued.
- Bob the Builder returns to DUPLO from Explore.
- Thomas and Friends start as part of DUPLO Trains.
- Little Robots discontinued.
- Spider-Man discontinued.
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith released.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game released on GameCube, XBOX, GameBoy Advance, Playstation 2 and PC.
- Batman starts.
- Avatar: The Last Airbender released and discontinued.
- No Harry Potter releases.
- SpongeBob SquarePants is released.
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy released on GameCube, Playstation 2 GameBoy Advance, Nintendo DS, XBOX, XBOX 360 PlayStation Portable and PC.
- Last Harry Potter release until 2010.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga released on Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 and Nintendo DS
- First Star Wars Battle packs released.
- Star Wars license is scheduled to end, but gets renewed.
- Harry Potter Discontinued for the first time.
- Indiana Jones starts.
- Speed Racer is introduced.
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars starts.
- LEGO Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures released on Nintendo DS, PlayStation Portable, Playstation 2, Xbox 360 PC and Nintendo Wii.
- LEGO Batman: The Video Game released on Nintendo DS, PC, Playstation 2, PlayStation Portable, Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii.
- Batman ends.
- SpongeBob SquarePants is discontinued.
- First Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom sets.
- LEGO Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues is released.
- The Video Game LEGO Rock Band is released.
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 is released.
- Ben 10: Alien Force is introduced and ends.
- Cars DUPLO is introduced.
- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is introduced and ends.
- Toy Story is introduced and ends.
- Harry Potter is re-introduced.
- Indiana Jones is discontinued.
- License with Star Wars was originally scheduled to end, but is renewed.
- Pirates of the Carribean released.
- Cars is be released in System form.
- Promotional pre-release Super Heroes sets available.
- SpongeBob SquarePants is re-introduced.
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars was released on Wii, Nintendo DS, Playstation 3, PSP, Xbox360 and PC.
- LEGO Pirates of the Carribean: The Video Game was released on Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, PC, Nintendo DS and PSP.
- LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 was released on Xbox 360, Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, PC, Nintendo DS and PSP.
- Super Heroes was introduced with three subthemes: Marvel, DC Universe, and Ultrabuild.
- LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes was released in June.
- A new DUPLO subtheme, Disney Princesses, was introduced.
- The Lord of The Rings was introduced in June, and The Hobbit was introduced in November.
- Harry Potter (Theme) is discontinued.