The Master Builders are a group of minifigures in The LEGO Movie. They are mostly minifigures from famous themes over the course of LEGO's history. They are also named after the real life group of Master Builders that design models for LEGOLAND parks and various events
In The LEGO Movie Universe, the Master Builders are a group of elite builders and creators that made the LEGO universe. Now every so often, the Master Builders meet in Cloud Cuckoo Land.
Lord Business was confused by all this, so he stopped all creating by placing borders around the universe and hired Bad Cop to arrest the Master Builders by leading the Super Secret Police. Those who were not arrested either snuck out of Bricksburg, hid out in the tunnels between the different lands, or live amongst the rest of the city incognito. Those who were arrested by the Super Secret Police were locked up in Lord Business' Think Tank to make instruction books.
Some of the Master Builders were captured by Lord Business' forces during MetalBeard's earlier invasion of the Octan Tower.
Later on, the Super Secret Police apprehended most of the remaining Master Builders during their raid of Cloud Cuckoo Land.
After Emmet's sacrifice to stop the Think Tank from delivering a deadly shock to the imprisoned Master Builders, the captive Master Builders were freed and assisted the rest of the minifigures that built different objects in their battle against the Micro Managers. Upon his return, Emmet gained Master Builder abilities which proved instrumental in convincing Lord Business to place the Piece of Resistance on the Kragle. Once that was done, the Micro Managers shut down and President Business distributed the antidote to the Kragle on those who were "Kraglized" while the Master Builder and other minifigures celebrated Emmet's victory.
List of Master Builders
The following characters from the DC Universe are Master Builders:
The following Minifigures are Master Builders:
These Master Builders are exclusive to The LEGO Movie:
The following Master Builders come from other LEGO themes:
The following are Master Builders that only or have yet to appear in any sets:
- The only licensed themes not represented in the Master Builders are any owned by The Walt Disney Company, any made exclusively for DUPLO (such as Bob The Builder and Dora the Explorer), those that did not include Minifigures (such as Galidor and Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium), SpongeBob SquarePants, Marvel, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.
- Uni-Kitty is the only Master Builder not made from any Minifigure parts.
- MetalBeard has the only non Minifigure body in this group ever since the loss of his original body during an earlier invasion on the Octan Tower which caused him to make his new body by scratch.
- It could be noted that only the DC Universe is represented in the Master Builders and not the Marvel minfigures. This is likely because Warner Brothers had a major say in making the movie and did not want to negotiate with Disney. They did negotiate with the Walt Disney Company when they made Who Framed Roger Rabbit but Warner told the representatives of The Walt Disney Company only if it's biggest star Bugs Bunny has the same amount of screen time as its biggest star Mickey Mouse. This was probably the reason why no Disney minifigures were represented.
- The only minifigures from the Minifigures theme who are not represented as Master Builders are any from 8909 Olympics Collectable Minifigures and 71007 Minifigures Series 12.
- Egyptian Queen (referred as "Cleopatra"), Lady Liberty, Lady Robot, Medusa, and the Zookeeper are the only females from the series who are Master Builders.
- The Surgeon is the only Master Builder who appeared as a male surgeon rather than a female.
- The Cyclops is the only Master Builder from Minifigures theme who never appeared in Cuckoo Cloud Palace scene and attack on Bricksberg. However, he appears as one of the stop-motion videos who created by fans on ReBrick.
- The Pirate Captain is the only Series 8 minifigure who represents as Master Builder.
- The Traffic Enforcer and Trucker are the only minifigures from the Minifigures theme that does not made in physical forms, but it might expected to appear in the future series.
- The Caveman is the only Master Builder from the Minifigures theme who doesn't appeared in the film, but he appears in The LEGO Movie Video Game.
- In LEGO Dimensions, the Pop Star and the Trendsetter can be seen in the Cloud Cuckoo Land cutscene. However, they never appeared in the film and The LEGO Movie Videogame.
- Garbage Man Grant, Ice Cream Jo, Kebab Bob, Larry the Barista, Mrs. Scratchen-Post, Plumber Joe, Rootbeer Belle and Sudds Backwash are the only Master Builders who did not attend in the meeting at Cuckoo Cloud Palace. However, they are actually an ordinary citizens from Bricksburg and Flatbush Gulch before Wyldstyle speech at the TV studio enabling them to become Master Builders in the final battle against Lord Business' forces.
- Abraham Lincoln, Michelangelo Buonarroti, and William Shakespeare are the only Master Builders that are based on real-life historical people. However, Michelangelo is the only historical Master Builder who never made physically in sets and 71004 The LEGO Movie Series.
- Shaquille O'Neal, NBA Player 1, and NBA Player 2 are the only Master Builders that are based on sports and are referred to by Vitruvius as the "2002 NBA All Stars."
- In The LEGO Movie Videogame, the only playable Master Builders from the licensed themes are any owned by Warner Bros. with the exception of Professor Dumbledore and Speed Racer.