- “Where there is light, there will always be shadow!”
- ―The Overlord battling Lloyd in "Rise of the Spinjitzu Master".
Overlord is an evil spirit and the central main antagonist in Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu. He created the Stone Army out of an unbreakable material only found on the Dark Island and commanded the Nindroids. In a propecy by the Serpentine, he is known as The Golden Master. However, he was defeated in "The Titanium Ninja" after Zane sacrificed himself. He was released in a set in summer 2014.
MinifigureGundabad Orcs in gold. He is the only Ninjago character to have a triangle piece as his feet. However, he also has plain black legs, which he can also use.
In the Overlord's spirit form, he appears to be a hovering ball of dark matter.
In the Overlord's true form, he takes the form of a dragon. During the Final Battle, he once gains the upper hand, growing as large as Ninjago City, itself.
In his digital form, he appears as two balls of matter, forming two eyes, which expand and shrink during talking.
In his weakened state, the Overlord appears to be a sloppy goo, similar to his spirit form.
90% Complete Golden Master
In his 90% complete form, the Overlord looks like his Golden Master minifigure, except with no printings.
- “...The blackest of darkness that existed from the very beginning - an evil spirit called The Overlord”
- ―Misako retelling the story of Ninjago
The Celestial Clock
- “There will be nothing that can stop you from making Ninjago into your image!”
- ―The Overlord to Garmadon
The Overlord and Garmadon teamed up to take over Ninjago. The Overlord first instructed Lord Garmadon climb to the top of a mountain. There, Garmadon turned four cranks and The Dark Island came out of the ocean. The Overlord then urged Garmadon take the Helmet of Shadows so he could control the Stone Army, in turn starting the Celestial Clock that counts down to the final battle between good and evil.
Next, The Overlord instructed Lord Garmadon to command the army to build a super weapon. The Ninja soon showed up on the island in an attempt to stop evil from winning the final battle. However, the Stone Army attacked them. The Ninja managed to escape and make it to the Temple of Light. They managed to get Elemental Weapons that can defeat the Stone Army. Although, the Ninja had gotten stronger, the Overlord informed Garmadon that they were, too. The stop the Final Battle, the Ninja planned to steal the Helmet of Shadows and return it to the Celestial Clock. However, the clock reached zero, and the super weapon was powered up. The Overlord gave the super weapon, Garmatron, to Garmadon so he could take over Ninjago.Garmadon drove the Garmatron to the beach of the Dark Island and, despite the efforts of Wu, Loyd, and Misako, managed to fire a dark-matter missile onto Ninjago. This disturbed the balance between good and evil enough to free the Overlord from the island, who let out his secret plan: using Garmadon's desire to turn all of Ninjago into his image to turn all of the world into his (Overlord's) image. Proceeding in his betrayal, he possessed Garmadon's body and continued firing missiles. Lloyd Garmadon attacked the Overlord, which began the final battle where it had been stopped by the First Master. Although delayed, the Overlord succeeded in injuring Lloyd's leg and traveled to Ninjago to claim his place as ruler, leaving the Ninja on the Dark Island.
The Final Battle
- “You're in no shape to fight! It's over... Evil wins! ...You don't even have a sword!”
- ―The Overlord to Lloyd
The Age of Technology
- “I don't want to fight... I just want your power!”
- ―Overlord to Lloyd
However, the Overlord was not entirely destroyed. Reverted to his weakened state from the Dark Island, he returned by disguising himself as a computer virus which infected Borg Industries, led by Cyrus Borg who is the only one aware of his presence for some time.When Borg attempts to sneak away the Techno Blades--the only hardware capable of erasing the spirit from the systems--to the ninja, the Overlord becomes infuriated and takes over the whole tower, 'reformatting' Borg and every piece of equipment connected to the tower. He possess Borg's Mech Chair, allowing him to move around. His attempts to destroy the ninja and obtain the Blades ultimately fail, but does kidnap Sensei Wu who used himself to divert the spirit's attention. Building the Nindroid Army from scans on Zane, compliments of P.I.X.A.L, he plans to capture Lloyd to harness his Golden powers and escape the digital realm with his own body. Unfortunately, his digitized state means he can only exist in bodies and technological devices to survive until then. Soon, the Ninja destroy the Ninjago Power Source, turning the Overlord off.
- “Whoever you are, I like you!”
- ―The Overlord to the Stranger
However, a problem develops with Pythor's schemes: with the main power shut off, only a few Nindroids can be activated at a time. To solve this, Pythor makes his way to Ninjago's aquarium, where he steals its entire tank of Electro Cobrai to power the Nindroids. With the horde that goes underground after the ninja, the Overlord possesses one to provide a message to his enemies: that they failed in their focused attempt to defeat him, because the Nindroids were only a distraction for them while he focused on separating from them, locating, and capturing his true weakness--Lloyd. Meanwhile, this actually happens when the Digital Overlord, possessing the mech-dragon, corners Lloyd and Pythor restrains him. He then proceeds to take the Green Ninja back to Ninjago for his revival.
- “Soon, you will be utterly powerless... And I... I will escape this digital prison and become whole!”
- ―The Overlord to Lloyd
After he captured Lloyd, he tells the Nindroids and Pythor to Attack Borg Industries. While the Nindroids are on their assault, he starts draining Lloyd's powers and reveals that he's having the body of the legendary Golden Master.
But as he drains Lloyd's Power,The Overlord starts to realize that the Ninja are starting to reboot the system in the Digiverse. So the Overlord starts to fight the Ninja to prevent them from rebooting the entire Ninjago. So then he turns the Digiverse upside down. So he heads to the top where they cant get him. But the Ninja transformed their Techno Blades into the vehicles before they were destroyed, but the Ninja luckily managed to reboot Ninjago except for the Nindroids.
Before the Overlord could become the Golden Master, the system was rebooted, leaving the Overlord in an incomplete body. Pythor finds him in the sunk MechDragon. He swallows him and spits him back on land, where he plans to go after the Golden Weapons of Spinjitsu in space to complete his body. General Cryptor and the Nindroids build a spaceship and blast off. The next day, Pythor, OverBorg, and the Overlord go to Borg Industries and place the Overlord in a capsule, restoring his body as a 90% complete Golden Master. The OverBorg finds out that Nya, P.I.X.A.L., Wu, and Garmadon are hiding in the tower, and attacks them. However, they escape on a hover-copter. Later, the Nindroids arrive with the Golden Weapons, making the Overlord the reborn, god-like Golden Master.
The Golden Master
- “First I was trapped in Lord Garmadon, then I was trapped in the Digiverse, now I'm free, free! Bow to your Golden Master!"”
- ―the Golden Master
- Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- Season 2
- Season 3
- The first picture featured in the Gallery below makes the Overlord look mysteriously like Artwork for Baron Typhonus' (Otherwise known as "The Darkitect") face, who, like the Overlord, is the main villain and creator of the Maelstrom in LEGO's MMOG LEGO Universe. (The specific artwork is the second-to-last Gallery picture in the following link).
- One of the things he says, "Where there is light, there will always be shadow", is a possible reference to BIONICLE, as Takanuva and Makuta Teridax were light and shadow respectively and Lloyd and the Overlord are light and shadow respectively.
- The Overlord's disguise's story and appearance is similar to that of Digifier Dark Lord Khan (Known as Kilokhan in Superhuman Samurai Syber-Squad, the American dub of Gridman) of Denkou Choujin Gridman fame.
- In the show the ninja twice mistook his titles for characters they already know: Dark Lord (though it referred to Garmadon), Golden Master (the Ninjas mistook Lloyd for being the golden master)
- He is the first character to first appear in the show, then in a set.
- The Overlord's intro as the Golden Master in episode 34 reflects that of Emperor Palpatine's intro in the sixth Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi.
- The Overlord has possessed a total of 4 characters in the show. These being Lord Garmadon, Cyrus Borg, a Nindroid Warrior, and the MechDragon.
- When possessing Garmaddon, he massively deformed the latter's body. The head was reformed to form a protruding jaw and teeth, the arms became longer and differently shaped, and Garmaddon's hands split into individual fingers.