Red hands, black hands
2001, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2014
Royal Guards, also called Red Guards and Imperial Guards, were the personal guard of Emperor Palpatine. A guard would carry a force pike as a weapon, and they were all dressed in red. They were trained as great warriors, and were known as the best, being suitable for guarding important Imperial figures.
The Emperor's Royal Guards were some of the most elite of the Empire's forces, used to guard mainly Emperor Palpatine, but were sometimes used by other important Imperial figures. They were hand picked by the Emperor and under went intense training. Failure usually meant death. Out of a class of 40 cadets, only 5-7 survived training. The Royal Guards were wiped out mostly after the Battle of Endor, but notable Royal Guard survivors include Kir Kanos and Carnor Jax.
Royal Guards have red arms, legs and black hands, and the torso piece has red cloak details. They also have black minifigure heads and a red cloak helmet. Royal Guards come with black spears which are supposed to be Force pikes and red capes.
The 2014 variant is much the same as the original in torso and headgear. However, the arms and hands appear to have been changed to a complete dark red. The Royal Guards now wield as an accessory a black handle with a grey rod on top (similar to a lightsaber) instead of a spear.
- Celebration IV Set (2, black hands)
- 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer (2, black hands)
- 7166 Imperial Shuttle (2, red hands)
- 7264 Imperial Inspection (2, red hands)
- 10188 Death Star (2, black hands)
- 75034 Death Star Troopers (2, redesign)
- 852085 LEGO Star Wars Magnet Set (black hands)
- 852552 Magnet Set Royal Guard 2009 (black hands)
Video Game Appearances
- LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
- LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga
- LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars