- This article is about the movie. For the theme based on the movie, see The LEGO Movie (Theme). For the video game based on the movie, see The LEGO Movie Video Game.
The LEGO Movie, originally named LEGO: The Piece of Resistance and later LEGO: The Motion Picture, is a movie released in theaters February 7th 2014 (USA and North America) and 14 February 2014 (Europe and Asia). It was originally intended to be a cross between stopmotion and computer generated animation.
|This is a description taken from thelegomovie.com. Do not modify it. (visit this item's product page)|
The LEGO® Movie,” the first-ever, full-length theatrical LEGO® adventure, from Warner Bros. Pictures and Village Roadshow Pictures, opens in theaters February 7, 2014.
Directed by Phil Lord & Christopher Miller (“21 Jump Street,” “Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs”), it stars Chris Pratt, Will Ferrell, Elizabeth Banks, Will Arnett, Nick Offerman, Alison Brie and Charlie Day, with Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman.
The original 3D computer animated story follows Emmet, an ordinary, rules-following,
perfectly average LEGO minifigure who is mistakenly identified as the most extraordinary person and the key to saving the world. He is drafted into a fellowship of strangers on an epic quest to stop an evil tyrant, a journey for which Emmet is hopelessly and hilariously underprepared.
Chris Pratt (“Parks And Recreation”) stars as the voice of Emmet. Will Ferrell (“The Campaign”) stars as the voice of his primary adversary, President Business, an uptight CEO who has a hard time balancing world domination with micro-managing his own life; while Liam Neeson (“Taken” and “Taken 2,” Oscar nominee for “Schindler’s List”) voices the president’s powerful henchman, known as Bad Cop/Good Cop, who will stop at nothing to catch Emmet.
Starring as Emmet’s fellow travelers are Oscar® winner Morgan Freeman (“Million Dollar Baby”), as Vitruvius, an old mystic; Elizabeth Banks (“The Hunger Games,” Emmy nominee for “30 Rock”), as tough-as-nails Wyldstyle, who mistakes Emmet for the savior of the world and guides him on his quest; Will Arnett (Emmy nominee, “30 Rock”), as the mysterious Batman, a LEGO minifigure with whom Wyldstyle shares a history; Nick Offerman (NBC’s “Parks and Recreation”) as a craggy, swaggering pirate obsessed with revenge on President Business; Alison Brie (NBC’s “Community”) as a sweet, loveable member of the team, with a powerful secret, and Charlie Day as the spaceman Benny.
Directors Phil Lord & Christopher Miller also wrote the screenplay, from a story by Dan Hageman & Kevin Hageman and Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, based on LEGO construction toys. It will incorporate some of the LEGO world’s most popular figures while introducing several new characters, inviting fans who have enjoyed the brand’s innovative toys and hugely popular video games for generations to experience their visually unique LEGO world as never seen before.
“The LEGO Movie” is produced by Dan Lin (“Sherlock Holmes,” “Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows”) and Roy Lee (“The Departed,” “How to Train Your Dragon”). The executive producers are Jill Wilfert, Matthew Ashton, Kathleen Fleming, Allison Abbate, Zareh Nalbandian, Jon Burton, Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan, Seanne Winslow, Matt Skiena and Bruce Berman; and co-producer John Powers Middleton.
The creative filmmaking team includes cinematographer Pablo Plaisted, production designer Grant Freckelton, editors David Burrows and Chris McKay, and composer Mark Mothersbaugh. Emmy Award winner Chris McKay (“Robot Chicken”) also serves as animation co-director.
“The LEGO Movie” is a Warner Bros Pictures Presentation, in association with Village Roadshow Pictures, in association with LEGO System A/S, a Vertigo Entertainment/Lin Pictures Production. It will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures.
- "He is coming... Cover your butt."
In a universe made entirely out of LEGO bricks, an old wizard named Vitruvius attempts to protect an ancient and powerful relic, called the "Kragle", from the evil Lord Business. He fails to do so, being permanently blinded by Lord Business' laser. However, he warns Lord Business of a prophecy connected to the Kragle:
One day a talented lass or fellow,
A Special one with face of yellow,
Will make the Piece of Resistance found,
From its hiding refuge underground.
With a noble army at the helm,
This Master Builder will thwart the Kragle and save the realm,
And be the greatest, most interesting,
Most important person of all times.
All this is true, because it rhymes.
8 and a Half Years Later
- "Good morning, city!"
Emmet, an ordinary construction worker with no special qualities, goes throughout life by following every last detail of the instructions, as do his fellow workers. He comes across a woman who is searching for something after hours at his construction site. When he tries to follow her when she flees, Emmet falls into a hole and finds an unusual red piece stuck among a clear substance. Compelled to touch it, Emmet experiences vivid visions and passes out. Awakening, he finds himself in the custody of Bad Cop, Lord Business' lieutenant (whose head sometimes turns around to reveal his other side, Good Cop). While being fiercely interrogated, Emmet learns Business' plans to destroy the world with the Kragle, and that the red brick he found is the Piece of Resistance--which is now stuck to his back. The same woman he found before, who calls herself Wyldstyle, rescues Emmet from being melted down for the Piece and takes him out of Bricksburg and into another realm, the Old West, to find Vitruvius, who in fact survived his encounter with Lord Business. Unfortunately, she learns too late that Emmet is not a Master Builder, let alone the "Special", but has no choice but to locate Vitruvius.
- "Darn darn darn darny darn!"
- ―Bad Cop, frustrated that Emmet escaped
Meanwhile, President Business meets with Bad Cop as his alter-ego, Lord Business, in his skyscraper's relic room, which is full of non-LEGO items from a world beyond theirs- our world. Business lets it be known that he is angry that Emmet escaped with the Piece, but intends to set everything in place--literally--with the Kragle (which happens to be a tube of Krazy Glue with some letters rubbed off). He seeks his lieutenant's true loyalties by having him fire the weapon-turned relic onto his own parents Ma Cop and Pa Cop, but his Good Cop side wins over. Business discovers this and rubs off that side of the officer with other powerful items (nail polish and a q-tip) before convincing him to demonstrate the Kragle's power.
Along their journey, Wyldstyle explains how she and many other figures are among the Master Builders who can instinctively build whatever anything without instruction manuals. Lord Business disapproved of such anarchic creativity and captured many of them, leaving the rest to scramble into hiding. As the "Special", Emmet is destined to defeat him with the Piece of Resistance and restore free creativity to all the realms of the universe. Upon finding Vitruvius, both he and Wyldstyle are disappointed to find Emmet displays no outside creativity, but are astonished to discover his obstacle-free mind brimming with potential creativity. With this unexpected hope, Vitruvius deems Emmet to truly be the "Special". After this, Bad Cop tracks down Emmet and Wyldstyle in the Old West which leads to him destroying a bridge for the train they are on.
- "Rest in pieces!"
- ―Bad Cop
Just before the heroes are about to die, they are rescued by Wyldstyle's boyfriend, Batman, who takes them to a gathering with the remaining Master Builders. During their trip they come across more realms, such as Middle Zealand and Cloud Cuckoo Land, and meet new friends like Uni-Kitty and Benny. Upon entering a dog-shaped building, Emmett, Wyldstyle, Vitruvius, and Batman meet with the Master Builders consisting of Superman, Wonder Woman, Marsha Queen of the Mermaids, Green Ninja, Benny, Michelangelo the Artist, Michelangelo of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the 2002 NBA All-Stars (Shaquille O'Neal, NBA Player 1, NBA Player 2), Abraham Lincoln, a Blaze Firefighter, Cardio Carrie, a Cavalry, a Circus Clown, a Cowboy, a Crash Dummy, a Deep Sea Diver, El Macho Wrestler, the Egyptian Queen (who Vitruvius referred to as Cleopatra), Forestman (who Vitruvius referred to as Robin Hood), Gandalf, a Ghost, Green Lantern, Hazmat Guy, Johnny Thunder, Lady Liberty, Lizard Man, a Magician, Milhouse Van Houten, a Mummy, a Panda Guy, a Policeman, Professor Dumbledore, a Punk Rocker, a Red Classic Spaceman, The Swamp Creature, a Surgeon, a Traffic Enforcer, the Tribal Chief, a Vampire, a White Classic Spaceman, and William Shakespeare. Although enthusiastic for the Piece's recovery, the Master Builders are disheartened with Emmet's lack of imagination, and refuse to fight against Lord Business upon hearing of their former attack by MetalBeard, a brick-clad Master Builder pirate who suffered the loss of his body and his crew while trying to invade Lord Business' Octan Tower. Emmet's lack of imagination caused Abraham Lincoln and Metalbeard to leave Cloud Cuckoo Land. Suddenly, Bad Cop and his "Kragle-ized" forces locate Emmet again, via a tracking device shot on to him when previously saving Wyldstyle from the shot, and attack and capture all the remaining Master Builders, except for Emmet and a few others who escape in a quickly-built submarine. Emmet comforts a devastated Uni-kitty at the destruction of her home until the others discover their sub is falling apart and severely leaking, which soon leads to the sub exploding underwater. Above the ocean waves, Bad Cop reports no other survivors amongst the surfacing wreckage to Lord Business--but fails to notice said survivors hiding in the only part that stayed intact: a double-decker couch that Emmet had built for the first time on his own.
Upon rescue by Metalbeard, who noticed the couch being overlooked by Business' forces, Emmet believes the Master Builders' main weakness was that their individual creativity prevented them from working together, unlike Bricksburg's construction workers whom were able to erect things like Business' skyscraper with a solid plan. He devises a team plan to infiltrate Lord Business' headquarters at the Octan Tower by using instructions and his own building knowledge and experience. The group arrives at the Octan Tower after borrowing the warp drive from the Millenium Falcon. While Metalbeard and Benny head to hack the computer room, and Batman and Uni-kitty stall Business' time to initiate the newly dubbed "Kragle-izer", Emmet and Wyldstyle disguise themselves (with tin foil from the relic room) among the worker robots to get to the Kragle. Their mission leads Emmet to admit to Wyldstyle how her words upon their meeting impacted him, and she in turn reveals that her real name is Lucy. Their touching moment is interrupted by Batman, who returned to assist them.
So well does the plan go, Emmet is upon installing the Piece of Resistance on the Kragle before he and the others are discovered and imprisoned. Vitruvius attempts to fight back but he is beheaded by Business with a flying penny. With his dying words, Vitruvirus admits the prophecy was all made up. Just as Vitruvirus dies, Business immediately demoralizes Emmet and all the captured Master Builders in the room. Business rants at Emmet in how he is really a nobody like everyone else as he removes the Piece with a "sword" relic (an X-ACTO knife blade) and throws it off the edge of the universe. Setting his headquarters to electrocute all in the room--including Bad Cop--he leaves with the Kragle to freeze Bricksburg. Vitruvius' ghost tells Emmet that even if the prophecy isn't real, Emmet can still save the world by believing in himself. Tied to the self-destruct mechanism's battery, Emmet throws himself out the hole Business made and off the edge of the universe, saving and releasing all the Builders.
Inspired and humbled by his sacrifice, the Master Builders escape with Bad Cop's help where Bad Cop draws a new Good Cop face onto him. Wyldstyle rallies the citizens of Bricksburg to become creative in Emmet's memory. Soon all the people across the universe are building their own creative weapons to fight the attacking Kragle-izer, with the Master Builders leading the charge against Business. With their newfound imaginations, the citizens gradually gain the upper hand, much to the Master Builders' astonishment and delight.
Emmet meanwhile finds himself in the real world, where the events of the story are being controlled by a human boy named Finn. The boy's father, "The Man Upstairs" as Emmet recognizes, chastises his son for ruining all the intricate LEGO displays he had built and questioning Finn's own LEGO creations. In the LEGO world, this causes Lord Business' forces gain the upper hand in reversing the citizens' creative weapons and Kragle-izing them. Realizing the father will glue all the LEGO bricks in place, Emmet wills himself to move and falls off the table, grabbing the son's attention. Distracting his father, the son returns Emmet with the Piece of Resistance (which happens to actually be the Krazy Glue cap) to the LEGO set.
Landing in the construction site, Emmet discovers his Master-Building imagination unlocked and builds a massive mech to assist his friends before confronting Lord Business. In the real world, the father looks at his son's creations again and finds himself impressed. Realizing his son based the evil Lord Business on him, the father has a change of heart and allows his son to play with his LEGO bricks however he sees fit. As if being mirrored by these events, Emmet convinces Lord Business that creativity is not messy or weird, and that it is okay for the people to build brand-new ideas from all the things Business himself had made, which makes him special, too, just like everyone in their own ways. Moved by Emmet's speech and touched by being considered special, Business applies the Piece of Resistance on the Kragle, which soon causes the Kragle to explode, deactivating all of his Micro Managers, and unfreezing his victims (though the real "victims" were saved when the Man Upstairs cleaned the glue off them). With the LEGO Universe saved, Emmet celebrates with his newly-found friends. Wyldstyle becomes his girlfriend after Batman tells her that she deserves Emmet, Bad Cop is reunited with his parents, and Vitruvius' Ghost is seen flying above the crowd.
Shortly into their celebration, DUPLO Aliens beam down from their spaceship, announcing their intentions to invade. This is ironically due to the Man Upstairs allowing his younger daughter to play with his LEGO bricks as well.
Minifigure Included with Everything is Awesome! Edition
- Chris Pratt as Emmet 
- Elizabeth Banks as Wyldstyle/Lucy 
- Will Ferrell as Lord Business/President Business, "The Man Upstairs"
- Will Arnett as Batman
- Nick Offerman as Metalbeard
- Alison Brie as Uni-Kitty 
- Charlie Day as Benny
- Liam Neeson as Bad Cop/Good Cop, Pa Cop
- Morgan Freeman as Vitruvius
- Channing Tatum as Superman
- Jonah Hill as Green Lantern
- Cobie Smulders as Wonder Woman
- Craig Berry as Blake, Additional Voices
- David Burrows as Octan Corporation Robot
- Anthony Daniels as C-3PO
- Amanda Farinos as Finn's Mom
- Keith Ferguson as Han Solo
- Will Forte as Abraham Lincoln
- Dave Franco as Wally
- Todd Hansen as Gandalf, Additional Voices
- Jake Johnson as Barry
- Keegen-Michael Key as Frank the Foreman
- Kelly Lafferty as Lord Business' Assistant
- Chris McKay as Larry the Barista, Additional Voices
- Chris Miller as TV Presenter
- Doug Nicholas as Surfer Dave
- Shaquille O'Neal as Himself
- Chris Paluszek as Robo Foreman
- Chris Romano as Joe
- Jadon Sand as Finn
- Melissa Sturm as Gail, Ma Cop
- Jorma Taccone as William Shakespeare, Additional Voices
- Leiki Veskimets as Computer
- Billy Dee Williams as Lando Calrissian
The plans to develop the movie were revealed in August 2009. In June 2010 it was reported that Phil Lord and Chris Miller were going to write and direct the movie. In November 11, 2011 it was revealed that the release of the film will be in 2014 and it would be developed by the Australian company Animal Logic.
In March 2012, Phil Lord and Chris Miller stated a possible working title could be "LEGO: The Piece of Resistance" and that story development, character design, and casting would begin shortly. "In the 3 to 4 months, hopefully," Phil Lord stated.
In a press release before the San Diego International Comic-Con 2013, LEGO revealed there would be 17 new sets released in 2014 based on The LEGO Movie, based on several themes from Space to Wild West. This press release also states there will be a line of Collectible Minifigures based on the movie's characters.
Ads & Promotional Images
- It was originally going to be released on February 28, 2014, but for unknown reasons it was moved to February 7, 2014
- The movie consists largely of 3D computer animation made to look like it's stopmotion, though parts of it may be stopmotion. A short portion is also live-action, with actual human actors instead of minifigures. The end credits are completely stopmotion made with real bricks.
- For a limited time in 2013, 5002891 The LEGO Movie Mini Poster Sticker was included with 10232 Palace Cinema. It is based on the real movie poster and can be used to replace the other movie posters that show what's playing in the Cinema.
- During Wyldstyle's flashback involving the Master Builders, the map that is shown in Lord Business' boarding room lists various locations including Bricksburg, The Old West, Middle Zealand, Octan HQ, Cape Space, Pirate's Cove, Viking's Landing, Dino Island, Pharaoh's Quest, Atlantis, TECHNIC Mecha Mine, Vladek's Realm, and the Forest of Obsolete Products.
- Unlike most LEGO movies/shows such as Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu, Legends of Chima: The Animated Series, and The Yoda Chronicles, everything in the movie is made to look like something real.This is true for nearly everything in the entire film, including buildings, landscapes, clouds, smoke, lasers, water, and explosions. The few things that aren't brick-built are "relics" from our world, including a BAND-AID, nail polish remover, a laser pointer, a q-tip, and a tube of Krazy Glue (AKA the Kragle), the lid to the Krazy Glue (the Piece of Resistance), and Vitruvius' staff (a partially-eaten lollipop), among others. Many of these are housed in Lord Business' Relic Room.
- The movie will not be out until April for certain countries.
- The Toa Mata/Toa Nuva from BIONICLE briefly appear in the film when Wyldstyle is talking to Emmet about the prophecy. So do Fabuland, 9448 Samurai Mech from Ninjago, 3189 Heartlake Stables from Friends, 8158 Speed Racer & Snake Oiler from Speed Racer, along with a few other themes.
- Some stopmotion videos created by fans on ReBrick were featured in the movie.
- For some far-off camera shots, miniature versions of the models are used, such as when MetalBeard escapes Cloud Cuckoo Land, or when the Millennium Falcon gets eaten by a space slug.
- The medival world, Middle Zealand, is a reference to Tolkien's Middle Earth in the Lord of The Rings and The Hobbit. Peter Jackson's adaption of Middle Earth uses New Zealand to shoot, hence the name.
- A sequel was announced
- Some, but not all, official LEGO products and webpages spell the title "The LEGO MOVIE", with "movie" in all capital letters.
- The DVD/Blu-Ray release date of The LEGO Movie is June 17,2014.
- A small tune is reused throughout the film's soundtrack: Everything is Awesome (fast and upbeat), Emmet's Morning (techno), Saloons and Wagons (dramatic), Wyldstyle Leads (upbeat and epic), and We Did It! (a glorious upbeat tone) and also multiple other pieces of the soundtrack.
- BIONICLE: Mask of Light
- BIONICLE 2: Legends of Metru Nui
- BIONICLE 3: Web of Shadows
- BIONICLE: The Legend Reborn
- The Adventures of Clutch Powers
- Ninjago: Masters of Spinjitzu
- Legends of Chima: The Animated Series
- LEGO Batman the Movie: DC Super Heroes Unite
- The LEGO Movie 2
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Official Site
- ↑ Collider
- ↑ Exclusive: Meet Uni-Kitty, voiced by Alison Brie!
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Official Facebook
- ↑ 5.00 5.01 5.02 5.03 5.04 5.05 5.06 5.07 5.08 5.09 5.10 5.11 5.12 5.13 5.14 5.15 5.16 5.17 5.18 5.19 IMDb
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
- ↑ http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1490017/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 FBTB.net
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 Comic Book Movie
- ↑ CinemaBlend.com
- ↑ http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/warner-brothers-already-prepared-to-build-a-sequel-to-the-lego-movie/