The Simpsons is a current licensed theme introduced in 2014, based on the popular TV sitcom of the same name. The first wave will be small, but depending on how it does, LEGO may make more sets. The theme is made to celebrate the 25th anniversary of The Simpsons.
The Simpsons is an American adult animated sitcom created by Matt Groening for the Fox Broadcasting Company. The series is a satirical parody of a working-class American lifestyle epitomized by its family of the same name, which consists of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. The show is set in the town of Springfield and parodies American culture, society, television, and many aspects of the human condition.
- 71006 The Simpson Family House - released from LEGO Direct and LEGO Brand Stores in 2014.
- 71005 The Simpsons Series - released worldwide on May 2014.
Official Press Release
BILLUND, Denmark (January 8, 2014) – The LEGO Group today announced a new partnership with Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products to produce a construction set and licensed LEGO® minifigures inspired by the iconic television series, THE SIMPSONS. In addition, FOX is scheduled to air a special LEGO episode of THE SIMPSONS in May 2014 featuring Springfield and its cast of characters in LEGO form.
Scheduled to launch this February in LEGO stores and via the LEGO Shop at Home catalog and website, the construction set will recreate the iconic Simpsons family house in LEGO form. Also included in the LEGO and THE SIMPSONS construction set is the entire family: Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa and Maggie along with neighbor Ned Flanders. A separate line of 16 LEGO THE SIMPSONS minifigures will launch in all mass toy retailers in May 2014.
“We are thrilled to collaborate with Fox during the 25th anniversary year of the Simpsons,” said Jill Wilfert, vice president licensing & entertainment at The LEGO Group. “We know our fans will love the challenge of building the Simpsons’ family home in great detail and the ability to collect quintessential characters in LEGO minifigure form will let them showcase their love of the show in a whole new way. We are also excited that THE SIMPSONS will be created in LEGO form, truly bringing this partnership to life.”
“We are kicking off the 25th anniversary of THE SIMPSONS in a big way, and we think LEGO-loving fans of the show will be impressed with this collaboration that represents the best of both iconic worlds through the LEGO and THE SIMPSONS construction set, minifigures and LEGO-themed episode,” said Jeffrey Godsick, president of Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products. “Our partnership with LEGO is the perfect addition to the range of product lines that will be introduced globally in celebration of this great milestone achievement in television history.”
The LEGO THE SIMPSONS house will be available February 1st in LEGO retail outlets for $199.99 (USD). The line of LEGO THE SIMPSONS minfigures will launch in May 2014 in all major toy retailers for $3.99 (USD) each.
- A parody of LEGO, Blocko, has appeared in several episodes of The Simpsons.
- This release of this theme coincides with the 25th anniversary of the show.
- The Simpsons Couch Gag in the episode "Midnight Towboy" featured LEGO-built versions of the Simpsons family.
- Milhouse Van Houten, Bart Simpson's best friend has made an appearance in The LEGO Movie.
- Apu, Grampa, Krusty the Clown, Milhouse, Mr. Burns and Nelson Muntz were originally rumored to appear in 71006 The Simpson Family House and other Simpsons sets before they were included in 71005 The Simpsons Series.
- Characters who have not yet appeared in physical form, such as Principal Skinner, Comic Book Guy, Groundskeeper Willie, Moe Szyslak and Waylon Smithers, consequently only have an appearance with a standard headpiece rather than a specially molded Simpsons headpiece.
- Like other licensed themes that contain few sets, this theme has mostly non-physical minifigures.
- Characters not appearing either in "Brick Like Me" or in physical form include Otto, Snake Jailbird, Hans Moleman and Sideshow Bob.